• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

12 kHz Tinnitus After Bumping My Head

MindfluX

Author
Feb 1, 2024
Tinnitus Since
11/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Head trauma
Hello Everyone,

Exactly 10 weeks ago, I accidentally bumped my head against a sharp steel corner. Roughly 20 hours later, I experienced a high-pitched beep on the same side of my head – a sound so intense that it made falling asleep impossible without medication.

Seeking medical assistance in the Netherlands, where I live, was challenging. Despite reaching out to the family doctor's centralist in the weekend, two days after the incident, I was not permitted to visit the emergency room. After a 12-day wait, I was finally able to see an ENT doctor who, after checking my ear canal and eardrum tube, referred me to a revalidation clinic for psychological support. Fearing the professionalism of the clinic, I requested a referral to TINTRA in Belgium from the ENT doctor, which I discovered through online research.

Given the 4-month waiting period for the TINTRA intake, I decided to self-administer 48 mg Methylprednisolone per day. Upon learning of my decision, the Belgian ENT department invited me to be checked by a regular ENT doctor, and urged me to discontinue the self-medicated Methylprednisolone. A few days later I was back on Methylprednisolone, as the doctor prescribed a 9-day course, beginning at 64 mg per day.

Unfortunately, the Methylprednisolone did not alleviate my 12 kHz unilateral tinnitus at all. The ENT doctor already scheduled an MRI scan, but I needed to wait 3.5-month. Unfortunately she wasn't allowed to get scan immediately, because too many days past already. Opting for a private clinic in the Netherlands, I had the MRI scan as well as an MRA scan 46 days after the incident took place. The radiologist analyzed the images, but found no abnormalities. Three weeks later the images were analyzed by an ENT doctor from Antwerp University Hospital finding no abnormalities too.

Managing the tinnitus during the day is possible to some extent, but without medication, sleep is impossible. I've tried various. 900 mcg Melatonin, 0.5 mg Alprazolam, 1.5 mg Clonazepam, 10 mg Zolpidem, 7.5 mg Zopiclone, and 600 mg Phenibut. Currently, I'm on 7.5 mg Zopiclone prescription from my family doctor, and some self-medication: 900 mcg Melatonin (including 300 mcg sustained-release) and 600 mg Phenibut.

Given the 4-month wait for the TINTRA intake, I've decided to inject myself with some peptides. Currently, I'm using AM-111 and SS-31, but I haven't observed any noticeable changes. Browsing through Tinnitus Talk, I've noticed a range of perspectives on self-medication and the use of experimental drugs. Let me make it clear that my choice is entirely personal, and I'm not advocating for its use. I turn to these substances because my tinnitus is pretty intense. Many of you can probably relate – those nights spent in the emergency room over the weekend, desperately trying to find relief from the relentless tinnitus preventing sleep. At one point, I had a mere 13 hours of sleep over 5 days. So, just to reiterate, this is my decision, and any information I share about these experimental drugs is simply a part of my own journey. My intention is not to provide channels to purchase them, so I won't be sharing that information.

Thanks for this @MindfluX.

It would appear that no medication has reduced your tinnitus?

It's not the first account of Prednisone having no effect on tinnitus; there's debate if it serves any useful purpose for tinnitus at all.

I think, like the rest of us, Time, Patience and Protection (TPP) is your best friend.

I had a positive experience with Prednisone. Do your own research and take your own gambles.

My tinnitus was 50% worse pre-Prednisone. I did two rounds of it. I also had aural fullness and hearing loss, which resolved along with the tinnitus lessening.

I've added twice daily intramuscular:

Vilon 375 mcg
Vesugen 375 mcg
Cortagen 250 mcg
Pinealon 125 mcg
Thymogen 100 mcg
Epitalon 100 mcg

My tinnitus typically has a baseline level of intensity, but it becomes more pronounced at night and in the morning. What surprises me is the immediate response of my brain to sounds I perceive, particularly those at high frequencies. When exposed to these sounds, the amplitude of my tinnitus noticeably increases, up to five fold.

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk. I am not a doctor, so I am not in a position to comment on the stuff you are taking. Hopefully, others are more qualified to comment. I can only say that I did take benzos and antidepressants plus sleeping pills in the challenging initial period, as I had both intrusive tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis. I did phase out these drugs progressively later. You may have some elements of hyperacusis since you find your tinnitus reactive to some sounds. It is common for new tinnitus to act this way, which undoubtedly adds more distress to a new sufferer.

One comforting thing is that hyperacusis or reactive tinnitus tends to fade over time, so hopefully, your reactive tinnitus will disappear, too. In my years on Tinnitus Talk, I came across a member who suffered a head injury in a fall while helping his fiancee move. It bothered him so much that he was suicidal. Worse, his fiancée was so taken aback by his abnormal reactions and extremely despondent emotions that she dumped him — poor guy. But miraculously, his condition improved, and he began to travel a lot to show others that there was still life after the disaster of tinnitus. I will provide a link to his success story to give hope to newer sufferers that tinnitus is not necessarily an end game. It is an arduous journey for many, but there is light at the end of the dark tunnel. Try masking your tinnitus if it bothers you.

Take care. God bless.

Here is Aaron's success story

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now