Acid Reflux Leading to ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nordland90, Jun 8, 2024.

1. Nordland90
      Disappointed

Nordland90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017. Habituated. Came back 04/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Reason unknown. Perhaps ear syringing or ETD.
      Hello everyone,

To make a long story short, I have had tinnitus for seven years. For the first four years, it had little impact on my life, apart from being noticeable in very silent rooms and when sleeping, which I managed by using a fan. However, if I read about tinnitus online, I would hear it very well. I reckon I had become habituated to it and could filter it away.

Anyway, I experienced a troublesome spike in April, reaching levels similar to those in 2017, if not higher. I believe this spike was due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (a probable cause of my original tinnitus as well) since my left ear (where I only have tinnitus) now crackles extremely loudly whenever I swallow or force the crackling with specific muscles, just as it did back then. Since then, I have had ups and downs, more downs than ups, if you ask me. During the first month, I think I only had two 'good' days, which occurred when I rinsed my ears of earwax. The first rinse caused a significant reduction for about 12 hours and the second for about 6 hours, but it unfortunately returned to high volume after that, much to my despair.

I have also been dealing with acid reflux at night, waking up with my throat almost burning and saliva galore in my mouth. I've read that acid reflux can lead to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, so I will take steps to reduce this and provide updates if it helps. How has this come about? Well, I tend to eat a hearty meal about 30 minutes before going to sleep. This never caused me any problems before, but I reckon age has caught up with me, and this is no longer an advisable eating plan.

I will try to stop my nighttime eating, which is rather challenging since I am on a medication (Seroquel) that creates a strong craving for carbs and food about an hour after taking it. However, this level of tinnitus is far worse than going hungry, so I will stop. I will also start taking over-the-counter anti-reflux medication before bed to see if it helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nordland90
      Disappointed

Nordland90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017. Habituated. Came back 04/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Reason unknown. Perhaps ear syringing or ETD.
      I wanted to provide an update. Since my last post, I've had some of my best days since mid-April. I went on a cabin trip last weekend, and, truth be told, apart from when I was going to bed, I could hardly hear my tinnitus. However, when I returned home on Sunday, the tinnitus became much louder, which was quite a setback.

My regimen against acid reflux has been somewhat effective. On the days I manage to follow it (though Seroquel makes it very hard to resist the urge for calories at night), my tinnitus seems much better the next morning. Yesterday, I didn't follow the 'rules,' and today, my tinnitus has been much louder than it was over the past 5-6 days. Coincidence? Who knows! But I will do my best in the coming days to not eat at least 4 hours before I go to bed, and hopefully, the volume will go down again.

Using nasal spray the right way (face downwards, bottle upright, and aimed slightly towards your eye) has also worked quite well for my crackling when I swallow. The volume of the crackling has decreased by at least 50% in the last 2-3 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Calapsodis
      Tired

Calapsodis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, TMJ, Virus, and Acid Reflux
      I have also been suffering from tinnitus, which I believe is due to Eustachian tube dysfunction caused by acid reflux. Although I’ve had tinnitus for a few years now, it has gotten moderately worse since the reflux started several months ago.

I caught pneumonia back in October/November last year, initially mistaking it for severe allergies, so I didn't seek treatment as quickly as I should have. After weeks of persistent coughing and a low-grade fever, I was prescribed a strong dose of Amoxicillin for five days. While the pneumonia cleared up and I started to feel better, I have since been left with severe acid reflux symptoms that have yet to subside. An endoscopy performed a few months ago revealed inflammation and a small hernia, both contributing to my problems.

Not only is the reflux affecting my tinnitus but also my jaw and head muscles. When I have a flare-up, I feel the need to squeeze every muscle from my chest up to my head to prevent the reflux and stomach pressure from entering my Eustachian tubes. My jaw, neck, and shoulder muscles now feel constantly tight, which has been very challenging. I am considering seeing a physical therapist soon because it has never been this bad, and I am losing patience and hope.

I used to eat my meals relatively close to bedtime without any problems until this all started. Some days are definitely better than others. When my tubes and sinuses are congested, I hear a low-pitched humming sound like a refrigerator running, and on other days, it’s not there. Stretching the muscles at the back of my head provides some relief, but only temporarily. I have finally learned how to use a nasal spray correctly, so I will continue trying it, along with a regimen for my reflux.

I hope that both your reflux symptoms and tinnitus continue to improve. Please keep us updated!

• Like Like x 1