Acoustic Trauma (Fire Alarm) Gave Me Tinnitus — History of Using Headphones for Gaming

Blue Crab

Author
Mar 4, 2024
Tinnitus Since
10/2023
Cause of Tinnitus
Fire alarm
Hello everyone. It's time I introduce myself before any more time goes by. My tinnitus journey started late September - early October 2023. I was standing close to a fire alarm for a few seconds. Later on a few weeks later I developed permanent ringing in my right ear. I assumed it was due to earwax buildup and I spent the first several weeks focusing on that as a cause. I've used headphones for gaming for years, and it's possible my usage of them walked me up to a line with tinnitus, but I'm not sure. My father also has tinnitus due to working as an auto and airplane mechanic but has habituated to the sound. I've stopped using headphones and AirPods recreationally now.

Anyway, following a water irrigation in my ears that didn't get rid of the ringing, I begged my Doctor for Prednisone; I was already 3 weeks after onset at this point. Unfortunately, the Prednisone didn't help, and I'm still hearing tinnitus in both ears today (I guess it spread) to the other ear.

At around the 4 week mark, early November 2023, I got a hearing test at Costco that showed mild hearing loss in my right ear. I also finally got in to see an ENT around this time who confirmed I don't have any medical problems and I'll just have to live with the condition.

Tinnitus has made my world smaller. Made me afraid to see movies at the cinema, afraid to go see live music in bars. Some things I previously loved to do. I want to go see Dune 2 soon; maybe I'll risk it while wearing my earplugs, which I wear whenever I leave the house.

The worst thing that's happened is that my tinnitus has caused me significant insomnia. I've tried taking all kinds of OTC medication as well as prescriptions including Amitriptyline, Trazodone, and Zolpidem (both regular strength and controlled release). None of them work that well but Zolpidem works best so I take that nightly. A good night of sleep for me is about 4 hours.

Anyway, thank you for reading my post. Tinnitus Talk has been a source of information and a way to have a little bit of community with this horrible condition. I hope I habituate soon and start getting regular sleep.

Best,
Blue Crab

I have the same problem with the antihistamine meds like Benadryl, Doxylamine, Trazodone and Hydroxyzine not helping me sleep. Zolpidem (Ambien) works in low doses overnight to get me back to sleep. I have gotten my average sleep up to about 5 hours, still unhealthy with that little sleep when the experts recommend 7 or 8 hours. Hopefully you can improve on the 4 hours - that's definitely not good.

I avoid loud bars completely now and don't use earbuds and headphones. Those most certainly contributed to my worsening over the years. I was habituated to mild tinnitus for many years, but it suddenly increased 2 years ago, and has been much more difficult living with, so you don't want it to get any worse. Keep protecting against loud noises.

Thanks @RunningMan. It sounds like we're in a pretty similar place. I'm in the process of trying out multiple possible remedies for my insomnia. If I can get better from it, I think my tinnitus will not be a big problem for me (fortunately).

For those interested, here's a copy of my hearing test. This is the one I took in October 2023 and I took another one yesterday with results in the same margin of error. It just shows you can get tinnitus and not really have bad hearing loss as measured on the standard hearing test (not a surprise after checking out others' experiences). At least my hearing isn't getting worse.

image0(1).jpeg

I can't offer much help but I can tell you I struggle with all the same issues.

I try to take joy in the fact I'm otherwise healthy.

I did go see Dune 2, with earplugs.

You'll eventually find your comfort zone for "risking it". No one gets out of this alive so you need to enjoy yourself as well as protect your ears.

Thanks for your thoughts @Blackbird1016! I'm seeing Dune 2 this weekend and I'll bring some foamie earplugs with me.

Wishing you good sleep and happiness. I really like your Animal Crossing profile picture!

I'm sorry I missed your post, @SumGuy.

My tinnitus has not disappeared or reduced since its onset in late September last year. Fortunately, I don't feel like it has increased either. I'm still not using headphones or playing video games (although I could). I have, however, gone out to loud environments a few times, like sports games and loud restaurants/bars. I try to manage my risk, but I plan to continue living my life (although I acknowledge tinnitus has changed me).

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now