Alternative Treatments for Migraines

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Coyotesheaven, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I have been diagnosed with otic and basilar migraines that are responsible for my T and my hearing loss. I have tried 3 prescription meds so far: propanerol, topomax, and pamelor. The first two made me sick as a dog and actually did more ear damage than they prevented (started destroying my low frequency hearing along with the highs) and the last one did nothing except to make me a little chubby. Frankly, I don't want to go on another migraine medication unless it is well known to have few side effects, and there are few that I know of (aside from the pamelor) that meet such criteria.

That being said, I am looking into homeopathic or alternative treatments for these kinds of migraines. I have tried my fair share of supplements, so no help there, but I think there are other therapies that may do the trick.
      I have very tight muscles that are influencing my migraine vulnerability, so muscle relaxation types of therapies are a good idea. However, I already know that the following will not work:
      -Craniosacral therapy (Made the migraines worse)
      -Acupuncture (I had a vasovagal reaction and passed out the first time around)
      -Any vigorous massage therapy for the head and neck.

Anyone have any ideas for what has helped them, or even potentially what has also helped with tinnitus?

Thanks for the input!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08 May 2013
      Marijuana might help for the Migraines. I think CBD oil Which is without the psychoactive ingredient ( THC ) might help with migraines.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Sparrow,

Hmmm..but I wouldn't want to mess with this substance. CBD oil would be a different experience than smoking marijuana, but I never enjoyed what smoking marijuana did to me psychologically. Besides, I don't believe this stuff is legally on the market in Ootah yet (Utah); not surprised because Ootah.

But thanks for the thought!

4. Lewis Thomas

Lewis Thomas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing this information. Some medication like Aspirin, ibuprofen etc may help relieve mild migraines.

5. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      By the way, homeopathy does, and cant do, absolutely nothing, so dont even waste your time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      She already tried to go on a diet.

8. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is it possible to get a low dose of Valium or any other muscle relaxers?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Kazue

I am getting one prescribed (Flexeril), but you need to visit a GP or a psychiatrist. If your muscles are really tight (like you can feel a lot of tension in your neck and jaw), I would recommend it, as some forms of T are somatic and come from tight muscles. I'm getting it because I have severe muscle tension, which is causing nervous system problems (most likely).

Valium is really great, actually does wonders for T and hearing vulnerabilities (in my case). However, it is highly addictive and is not meant for a long term prescription. It feels like being high to be on it, and it will make you drowsy and need to be watched if you are on it.

Again, I would look into another muscle relaxant like Flexeril first. Some people on this forum gave that med a thumbs up, and the side effects are less numerous.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Ecip

I have tried both and they did not work. Magnesium actually seemed to make my symptoms worse for whatever reason.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long were you on keto?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Ecip

About 1 month or so.

It wasn't exactly a ketone diet because I did continue to eat some of the 'restricted foods' on the ketone diet, but not the migraine diet (certain fruits, etc). Both diets are very similar in most respects, however.

Not even sure if I have migraines. I think something is instead wrong with me CSF pressure, because I get headaches and ear attacks from coughing, bending over, singing, sneezing, etc.

13. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Not alternative at all, but ibuprofen syrup (the stuff for kids) works wonders for me (classical and ocular migraine)....quick acting and less likely to be rejected by the stomach than tablets..

The only trial I'm aware of using a ketogenic diet for migraine didn't have a control group, so scientifically not valid. Personally I feel sick and have headache (not migraine) from high fat/low carb diets, so not for me .

I have had no help at all from CBD oil.

Feverfew is said to be good for migraine....tastes bad enough to be effective.

14. NinPhan

NinPhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alice in Chains concert / Noise Induced
      What type of Mg did you use? Have you tried Mg L-Threonate? It's a newer form that has shown positive results crossing the blood brain barrier and elevating Mg2+ levels in brain tissue.

15. firepro

firepro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      indoor shooting range
      I've been prescribed Sumatriptan 100 mg at onset of a migraine. It works, but I don't feel quite like myself the next day. Talked to a friend recently and he recommended Advil Cold & Sinus as he experiences migraines too. My migraines seem to occur with atmospheric pressure changes, and because of current weather changes, I had a chance to try the Advil product yesterday. I took one caplet at the onset of the migraine and it worked! I will now save the Sumatriptan as a last resort. Good luck.

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Amitryptaline or Nortryptaline as a low dose AD can help migraines and help stop them from happening...lots of love glynis

17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Feverfew is fantastic for migraines and been scientifically proven to help. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      After years of headaches, migraines and muscular stiffness around my left eye, I have found something that works. I have tried pretty much everything.

For the last three weeks I have been taking turmeric powder with freshly-ground black pepper. The first time I tried it, it stopped a headache I had for days over this last Christmas. My muscular eye pain has reduced significantly as well. I take it once in the morning after food and once in the evening after food also.

One heaped teaspoon of ground turmeric, with about a quarter teaspoon of freshly-ground black pepper in a cup. Add a small amount of water and stir to a paste. Then add half a cup of boiling water, stirring every now and again for about 5 minutes until it's cool enough to drink.

The black pepper contains piperine that helps the active ingredient, curcumin, be absorbed into the bloodstream.

There are many references to turmeric's numerous health benefits online, some backed up by clinical trials

My head feels less "pressured" and I feel a lot better as a result. I have been headache-free since starting taking turmeric, whereas I would usually get a headache every few days. I can't say it's improved my tinnitus unfortunately. I hope this helps someone.