Anybody Get Tinnitus Spikes from Yoga?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carolinet617, Sep 12, 2019.

1. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      Hey everyone,

I recently started a yoga practice (like just the past 2 weeks, I've done it off and on before but nothing advanced by any means). I've heard a lot of people recommend it as something that could potentially help tinnitus or just stress relief in general, I know there are a lot of health benefits. I've noticed though that after every single session, I get a noticeable spike in the loudness of my tinnitus. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with all the head movements or blood pressure or something (science is not my thing so maybe someone could help me understand this).

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any insight into whether this might be a clue to the cause of my tinnitus? I have always thought it was due to ototoxic meds but I don't know if this kind of reaction would suggest something else. As background, my hearing and ears in general are normal and I tested negative for Meniere's despite having frequent bouts of vertigo/dizziness. I also do get random spikes regularly, I just have noticed a definite correlation with the yoga and was wondering if I'm the only one.

Thanks!
      Caroline

2. nicole76
      Depressed

nicole76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/17 / Worsened 04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One-Sided Hearing Loss (of unknown origin)
      I've had balance issues (not vertigo or dizziness but more leaning to one side or the other) over the years but only one instance of hearing loss (quite mild) and tinnitus, but I've always feared it could be Menieres even though none of the four ENTs I've seen has ever suggested it even after seeing my case history. How does one rule it out? I think it would alleviate some anxiety for me to know I don't have it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went to an ENT and they did what's called ABR and VNG testing to see how I reacted to various stimuli around my ears. I don't understand it exactly, but they told me I fall within the normal range. They basically told me that Meniere's is specifically associated with vertigo and not dizziness, so because I predominantly have dizziness, it was most likely a vascular issue and nothing to do with my ears.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Maybe your T has something to do with blood flow or tension on neck, shoulders or back, and yoga makes it change.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Be careful, don’t hurt yourself or overdo things. Yoga is great, but not for everybody.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I've stopped for the past week. It's frustrating because I know exercise helps health so much in general but even things like walking at a moderate pace make me dizzy lately.

7. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Have you had a complete blood test and had your blood pressure checked?
      I have heard others who get a spiking in tinnitus due to exercise. I don't have this as I do performance cycling and swimming because like you, I believe fitness is a cornerstone of good health.

After you have a blood panel and pressure tested, maybe wade into some light exercising. You can do this at home. YouTube is a great resource. Swimming is wonderful for tinnitus because the water is a natural sound enrichment. Cycling is as well btw.

Good luck Caroline.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I have had a full blood workup and everything was normal except I have had high blood pressure and cholesterol for years. I'm on medication for both of those though so my blood pressure is now normal. The one thing they can't figure out is the cause of my dizziness, but it's not constant so I'd like to definitely ease back into walking at least, and swimming would be great.

Thanks for the advice!

9. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have a couple of cycling friends with low blood pressure and they sometimes get a bit light headed.

Walking is great exercise of course and maybe taking is slowly at first would be good to see what affect it may have on your tinnitus and any dizziness.

If you think about how complicated the body is, there is so much the medical community doesn't understand. As you know your dizziness may not even be related to your inner ear or tinnitus. Health is so complicated pretty remarkable we do as well as we do. Of course this ear ringing thing is like a curve ball from outer space we try to make sense of and none of us ever even considered such a freakish thing and yet here we are. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it really is so complicated! The whole dizziness issue started for me last December when I fainted on an airplane and then started having recurrent episodes of dizziness/lightheadedness. Their theory was that it was low blood pressure so they took me off the meds, but then it shot back up so they put me back on them. I think it may also be anxiety related as I've struggled with that my whole life. It really could be almost anything! And same with the tinnitus, I'm pretty sure I know what caused it but not positive. Hence finding a solution is almost impossible.

I'm just glad there are so many helpful people on here for when I feel like I'm losing my mind!

11. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What kind of yoga practice are you doing?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not too familiar with the styles but it's a 90 day online subscription type thing and varies each day. It's mostly gentle yoga with very light vinyasa so no inversions or anything like that. Mostly just learning the basic asana and breathing. Very much a beginner program.

13. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That shouldn't mess very much with your blood pressure. Not more than any other form of exertion would do anyway. A few uncomfortable sensations can happen in the beginning when you take up yoga, like nausea and dizziness. Keep with it if you like it. I personally believe it can help a lot with the emotional response to tinnitus.

Also, since yoga tends to be introspective an increased awareness of your tinnitus could possibly be the cause of your spikes, I don't know how other people experience them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gotcha, yeah my body is going haywire at the moment as I'm still in withdrawal from one medication and withdrawing from another. I'm gonna rest for a bit until things even out and then definitely start back up with it. I think it could definitely help with the emotional side of things but I also have a history of trauma so it can also bring up uncomfortable things. I've been dissociated for so long that I think I have to start to learn the difference between the normal "good" discomfort of working through things and when there's actually something wrong.

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. stev3po

stev3po Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral ear infection or neti pot?
      Hey @carolinet617 ,

I recently started online yoga and have been feeling very similar symptoms.

I noticed more dizziness than anything after yoga, but an increase in tinnitus as well. Before yoga the dizziness was constant, but now it's just more so.

Let me know if you ended up finding anything!

Best,
      Steve

16. BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've definitely noticed that my tinnitus spikes when I do yoga. It also spikes when I do anything meditative. I'm pretty sure the increase in loudness is not due to my being otherwise more quiet and thus more aware of it. Stress also makes it spike, so these being such stressful times, maybe that's why it's been so bad for the past few months. I am not going to stop doing yoga or other stress-relieving practices, but I wish I understood why those make the tinnitus worse.

17. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Bump...

Wanting to start yoga and was wondering if others in the community practice and how it has affected their tinnitus levels.