Anyone Else Notice High Pitched Sounds When Driving?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tom71, May 26, 2018.

1. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Even before tinnitus I would notice some high pitched sounds when driving my Prius.

Since tinnitus, or spike in my preexisting very mild tinnitus, these high pitched sounds seem louder, different from my tinnitus.

Anyone else had this experience?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ento
      Wishful

Ento Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma? Stress? Both?
      Yes, I have this every time I drive my car. It's a sizzling sound around 10khz. Very annoying.

• Like Like x 1
    3. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      The other day I was driving with my ear muffs on (Diesel Pickup aka loud) and I noticed if I opened my mouth I could hear a weird air blowing type noise. I had fun for a couple minutes opening and closing my mouth and moving my jaw to see the changes. I'm sure it was the ear muffs.

Tom, I wonder if you have some h (hyperacusis) going on that makes you more sensitive to noise or you're hyper sensitive to noise since you got t. Hyperacusis can be a real bear and it's not talked about much like t but is just as much trouble in my book. It goes away for most in time but we're talking months not days.

I've had h since I got t and my h is more reactive since some loud noise exposure last week. It's a pain.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Man, it seems our experiences are fairly similar. I've had this nerve-racking phenomenon myself since my tinnitus began. I also have it with other low frequency-type sounds, such as the steady drone of rain and in the shower. Computer fans also make it audible.

The louder this noise is, the louder the whistles set themselves over it and as soon as the external sounds are gone, so is this perception.

I've been reading around for a while to actually find a good explanation for it, but so far I haven't. Possibilities range from sound sensitivity to certain frequencies (where some people will call it 'reactive T'), dysfunctions of the Eustachian tube (incl. patulous tubes) or a corollary of Tensor Tympani Syndrome. It is sometimes also called Dysacusis. People with Meniere's also frequently report this.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Tom71 Some with allergies who have their arm extended place pressure on the accessory nerve. If may also include the vagus nerve, cranial root, spinal root, but almost only the sternocleidomastoid and trapezius muscle. With arms raised, stress can be placed on sternocleidomastoid and the trapezius muscles that can relate to an allergy. These muscles with arms raised will react to the slightest vibrations that signal the accessory nerve. The spinal accessory nerve controls these specific muscles of shoulder and neck. This can lead to altered mechanics of the shoulders, weakness in ability to lift arms and shoulder, forward elevation as well as trapezius and sternomastoid atrophy that will aggravate an allergy.

Basically you may have muscle tension causing an allergy. The solution is get gentle massage within the shoulders and careful pulling of the sternocleidomastoid muscles as seen on You Tube Videos and from a video on this site.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ento
      Wishful

Ento Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma? Stress? Both?
      I have tried chiropractor treatment, accupuncture and massage. Nothing alleviates this sizzling / electric sound. It spikes off car engine noise, fans, background street noise, and I can hear the zinging on top of the background noise. Mostly it goes down when the offending noise is reduced, however sometimes it can last for a while; hours or days afterwards.

I'm four months in now, and my T is noticeably reduced, however this one persists. Is it Hyperacusis? I have no pain or other discomfort though.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I also have tinnitus, which is stimulated by continuous noises such as driving. And although it is not loud, constantly heard in the left ear as an additional noise when driving a car.:(

• Like Like x 2
    8. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      Yep same thing happens to me too, but I can hear the sizzle in silence as well, but it’s way more present around “white noise” type sounds. We will get used to it in time I’m sure of it. Truly.

9. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      My t reacts when driving a car even with plugs in a short distance the high pitch noise in my head become annoying,
      Sometimes it settle down when I got home and sometimes it took a couple of hours to reduce its volume.

10. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Yes this is really damn annoying because it happens no other time. Only driving why??