Are You Some Form of Neurodivergent?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by derpytia, May 21, 2023.

?

Would you consider yourself neurodivergent?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      First off, what does neurodivergent mean?
      So it's all one big umbrella really.

I've also been wondering if there is a sort of link between tinnitus and neurodivergence (aside from the obvious ones where some people on the spectrum have sensory processing disorder or sound sensitivity)...

I'll go first. I was diagnosed with ADHD in middle school and I am almost POSITIVE my mother exhibits symptoms of it as well (but she would NEVER admit to it). My therapists and other friends are in agreement that I might also be on the Autism Spectrum and was never diagnosed because it presents differently in girls and society pressures girls to act a certain way and yadda yadda yadda. But also my great uncle likely was on the spectrum (and was routinely punished for it by his father; being born in the 1930s was rough for neurodivergent people).

I also have had depression and anxiety since childhood (may or may not be a result of a combination of life experiences and growing up literally different in ways I didn't yet understand) and possibly CPTSD.

I'm of the opinion that we aren't seeing an increase in neurodivergence. We are seeing more diagnosis because we have a better understanding of it. I think a lot of people, particularly those born and raised before the 1980s, may be neurodivergent and not know it (or refuse to consider it, like my mother) and/or have been raised to mask it to the point where they act and seem as "normal" or neurotypical as society would have them be.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I was diagnosed with ADHD in primary school. Then as an adult I have been diagnosed with autism. I also have OCD. I've had bouts with agoraphobia and have always been anxious.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      All of us United fans have to have some sort of mental disorder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Yeah, especially after the last decade lol. Hopefully we can stop City winning the Treble.

5. PennyCat

PennyCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not diagnosed but I have strongly suspected for a long time that I’m somewhere on the autism spectrum. I also have severe mental illness (general anxiety, social anxiety, OCD, depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, and an eating disorder).

I believe both of these things (being neurodivergent and/or mentally ill) can influence tinnitus in some degree. Especially health anxiety or health OCD, or if you are a very sensory-sensitive person.

My anxiety presents in a very somatic way and always has. I’m willing to bet at least a portion of my current struggles are strongly reinforced by my poor mental health, if not being the entire cause (not saying this is the case for you or anyone else, just my experience).

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Yeah. I feel like my other symptoms just make dealing with severe tinnitus worse. Funnily enough, I did some researching a while back and found that with Autism and ADHD, the potassium channels and such (kinda like the ones that are supposedly whacky for tinnitus) are also somewhat messed up.

The human brain is garbage lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      Pretty much sums up everything I have and feel on a daily basis. Trying to get any sort of help for it has been a waste of time. Pills or CBT, pretty hard for anyone else, and trained no less, to figure out what's going on in your head when I don't even know myself. I do know that Google has helped me figure stuff out more than any mental health professional has. Maybe I've just had a run of bad luck.