Audiologist Thinks a Slight Concussion Caused My Tinnitus Nightmare

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BorealChickadee, Dec 2, 2023.

1. BorealChickadee

BorealChickadee Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely a bicycle wreck
      Hi folks. I'm new here.

I'm an older guy who is active - hike, ski, bike, kayak, etc. Several years back, I wrecked my bike by crashing into a tree. I hit it hard. Newton penned that the tree hit back equally hard. Even though I had on a helmet and did NOT hit my head, my entire body stopped abruptly and I had significant trauma - cracked collarbone, bruised liver and spleen, displaced rib cage. It was months of physical therapy to be able to move normally again.

About a year later, the tinnitus began and I ignored it. It continued, mostly one one side. It got to where it woke me out of a sound sleep. And then I couldn't get back to sleep. It went on for months before I saw an audiologist. She isn't the type to go for sales of hearing aids and such right away. Hearing loss was minimal in the left side and non-existent on the right side. I'm over 65 years in the US, so it's a Medicare coverage thing.

I found occasional CBD gummies before bed allowed me to sleep at night when it seemed bad. It's still my fall back treatment. As the years have gone on, the tinnitus has not improved, but I note startle reflex being way beyond normal [like standing in a check-out line at a store and the stolen package alarm goes off - the people nearby note how strongly I react to that.] I have to also wonder why so many places need piped in music at all times.

Further complications, I think, include severely elevated blood pressure a couple of years ago. Being active, I've never had that issue and my General Practitioner, a really great doctor, asked why I thought my blood pressure would so suddenly elevate to such an extreme. I thought briefly before my honest answer; my subconscious brain is REALLY tired of the constant ringing. This is 24/7/365 about 8000 Hz stuff. Occasionally an additional frequency will "add to the joy." Sarcasm there. So I'm now on a blood pressure med, which works well and made no difference in my tinnitus case. Yearly trips to the audiologist show increased hearing loss in the left ear, but not quite to a level that justifies needing hearing aids.

I find some times are just downright depressing. Usually some outdoor time will help.

A long intro. Hope all is somewhat well for each of you. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1