• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autonomic Nervous System

Reinier

Author
Podcast Patron
Benefactor
Dec 5, 2015
Netherlands
Tinnitus Since
06/2015
Cause of Tinnitus
Explosion starting engine
I understand that the autonomic nervous system has a connection with our emotions.
I also wonder if hyperacusis could be fed by this autonomic nervous system. A sort of vicious circle. The noise incident I was exposed to was traumatic. I wonder if my autonomic nervous system is still "triggered". Sounds are still regarded as a threat subconsciously.
I looked on the internet for this subject and found some interesting reads.
Anyone any thoughts about this?

I have to agree with your thoughts. Mine was also triggered by a traumatic event being either the extremely loud buzzer that was pushed in and held without cutting off or the shock factors from when I was rear-ended. Either way, something was changed in my inner ear that left me still fearing certain noises to this day.

I wonder if everyday sounds are still perceived as being a "thread" by parts of the unconscious brain and in response you get all these discomforts like hyperacusis, distortion, TTTS.
I read an interesting article about Acoustic Shock Disorder where people that work at call centres can suffer from this. They can be subjected to unexpected loud sounds. Apparently the consequences can linger on if not addressed.
internet: dineenwestcottmoore.com.au/uploads/ASD_TTTS_guide_medical_professionals.pdf

I try to read about the autonomic nervous system in relation with hearing on the internet, but haven't found anything yet.

I did read that you can influence the autonomic nervous system.
I wonder if this is what therapists try to do with TRT.
Also I wonder if Yoga can be beneficial.
At the moment I started taking cannabidiol to see if I can get this unconscious anxiety down.

If it's caused by a traumatic incident EMDR might work?
I looked on the internet. You could be right. EMDR and CBT are suggestions for PTSD.
Soon I will start with what I understand is CBT. Or at least part of the therapy is CBT. I will ask some questions regarding our autonomic nervous system.
My first CBT did not improve symptoms. I will give it anther go.

i did CBT for nearly a year for depression and anxiety many years before my auditory struggles began. it didn't help, and i'm still not certain exactly how it was supposed to help. it was quite a long time ago and i don't remember much, but there were a number of exercises regarding intrusive thoughts, like black & white thinking and predictive negativity, but those weren't the things causing my depression. my depression and anxiety weren't caused by thoughts at all. i was simply depressed and anxious. they were physical feelings i had and weren't influenced by any particular way of thinking.

there could be some benefit for me from CBT these days. it might be worth it to try it again. but my physical illness and depression are so deep that i struggle to do almost anything, let alone work hard at therapy. how do severely depressed people even get started with this shit when one of the most major symptoms of depression is lack of energy and motivation?

@Sen have you tried supplementing vitamin D3? That helps with energy,motivation and mood. Just a suggestion X

@Sen have you tried supplementing vitamin D3? That helps with energy,motivation and mood. Just a suggestion X
yeah, i've tried a ton of supplements over the years and they typically either do nothing or make me feel worse. i don't recall ever having been helped by one, at least not to my conscious knowledge.

yeah, i've tried a ton of supplements over the years and they typically either do nothing or make me feel worse. i don't recall ever having been helped by one, at least not to my conscious knowledge.

What was your dosage?

i don't know, but i assume it was the wrong dosage, and that the dosage that will cure all my problems is much higher and much more expensive.

Well I wouldn't say "cure" no such thing as magic pill (wish it was) but It definitely helps and I notice a difference. I am taking 5,000iu twice a day and it takes a while to build up in your system like around two months. I'm sorry it didn't work.. Wasn't trying to pull a snake oil on you or anything, just making suggestions :)

there could be some benefit for me from CBT these days. it might be worth it to try it again.
CBT did not work for me either. Yet I will give it another go, because I would not be surprised if the link between emotion (limbic system?) and autonomic nervous system makes things worse. Especially after reading this document regarding Acoustic Shock Disorder.

Sometimes I ask myself if my anxiety would go away if the "hearing pill" was here. Yes, I am pretty sure it would. But I also realise that my hearing issues just pushed me over an edge.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now