Bad Tinnitus After Airbag Deployment in Car Accident — Did Two Weeks of Lexapro Further Damage My Hearing?

ddela889

Author
Oct 20, 2024
Tinnitus Since
august 2024
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown/car accident
Hello all, my name is Daniella. I first noticed my tinnitus on a random evening in August. At first, I was able to cope by using white noise to sleep and continued with my daily routine as usual. Over Labor Day, we went on a boating trip, and I fell off the tube, hitting the water pretty hard. However, I didn't notice any significant change in the ringing until September 7th, when everything changed.

That day, my family and I were involved in a motor vehicle accident, and the airbags deployed. My car was totaled, but thank God no one was hurt. However, I immediately noticed a significant increase in the ringing, and everything went downhill from there.

Since then, I have seen many doctors. I've had two MRIs and CT scans, and all came back normal. I visited an audiologist who provided hearing aids for sound therapy purposes. They help, but not always. I've also seen two ENTs, but no one has been able to help me. At one point, the noise was so loud it felt unreal.

I was prescribed Lexapro for anxiety and depression due to my tinnitus. However, after discovering how damaging these medications can be to hearing, I immediately discontinued them. The ringing is mild at times and seems to be improving, but then it gets louder at certain points. It's so hard to manage daily life.

I quit my job and found something less stressful, which I believe has helped reduce my anxiety and, in turn, the louder ringing episodes. But I still spend most of my days mourning my old life. I have a 15-year-old daughter, and I worry that my unhappiness is affecting her.

My hearing test was normal, according to my audiologist, who specializes in tinnitus and is amazing. So, why is this happening to me? Will I ever improve? Did I damage my hearing with two weeks of Lexapro use? I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking, perhaps just seeking support.

I'm 36 years old and just want to live a normal life again. If anyone has positive experiences or words of hope, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, friends.

Did I damage my hearing with two weeks of Lexapro use
No, you've been reading Facebook trash from people who are clueless. Lexapro does not cause hearing damage. It can increase tinnitus, as increasing serotonin levels universally can, but that's a brain mechanism, not a hearing one.

I suspect the trauma of your event is what led to your tinnitus.

I received this information from a doctor, but they might be wrong. They said that Lexapro is an ototoxic medication that can cause hearing loss. Maybe I should investigate further.

My hearing test was normal, according to my audiologist, who specializes in tinnitus and is amazing. So, why is this happening to me? Will I ever improve? Did I damage my hearing with two weeks of Lexapro use? I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking, perhaps just seeking support.
Airbags can be extremely loud, and loud noises are a well-known cause of tinnitus. So, I'd bet on acoustic trauma being the cause rather than Lexapro.

It's quite possible that your tinnitus will improve over time. Most people do see improvement, even if they don't do anything at all.

I wouldn't lose hope. I'm glad you weren't hurt in the accident.

Take care.

Airbags can be extremely loud, and loud noises are a well-known cause of tinnitus. So, I'd bet on acoustic trauma being the cause rather than Lexapro.

It's quite possible that your tinnitus will improve over time. Most people do see improvement, even if they don't do anything at all.

Take care.

This. Time, patience, and protection is the best bet for most people. Mine is very manageable most days after a year of having it.

Take care.
Thank you, Greg! I appreciate your reply and your words of encouragement. Every day seems to get a little better, and I'm holding on to every bit of hope!
This. Time, patience, and protection is the best bet for most people. Mine is very manageable most days after a year of having it.
I'm glad to hear yours is better. I am super careful and have been taking it easy. I hope that improvement is on the horizon for me.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now