Big Jump in Volume, Looking for Solutions

Discussion in 'Support' started by Droopy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Droopy

Droopy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unkown
      Hi, I am 43. I developed barely noticeable, high pitched "weeeeee" tinnitus roughly 10 years ago. I would only notice it if I had earplugs and it never bothered me at all. Occasionally it would get temporarily louder and more noticeable if I took ibuprofen for awhile or if I had a cold. Otherwise it was the same, low level no matter what I did.

About three months ago it suddenly, without any reason, became significantly louder. Nothing I do makes this tone louder or quieter.

Also a new, even higher pitched tone developed, maybe slightly in my right ear. I have this new tone most of the day, it is louder when I lie down, and it can occasionally get pulse a bit louder with my heartbeat. When I flex my neck muscles or push my head against anything, it completely disappears. Looking down makes it completely disappear too. When I stop pressing or looking down, it immediately returns. This is the tone I would most like to see reduced.

There is also a new lower pitched town that only happens when I am standing up and tilt my head to look up, or lying down AND tilt my head to look up AND lift my head off of my bed all at the same time. It is mostly in my left ear. When I look up but turn my head left, the tone is much lower, when I look up but turn my head right the tone is much lower.

Moving my jaw around can reduce and increase these tones a bit, but it is hard to be very specific about it.

I used to grind my teeth, and now I am wondering if I clench my teeth at night. I don't clench during the day.

Has anyone had any success with reducing these symptoms? Exercises / physical therapy / massage therapy / chiropractor? I am willing to try anything.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Droopy

It is best that you are referred to ENT for tests to find out what has caused your tinnitus to increase. Many things can cause tinnitus, the most common is exposure to loud noise. Do you listen to music through headphones regularly or attend places where loud music is played? If yes to any of these questions then loud sound could be the reason for the tinnitus increase. Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful. I advise you not to use headphones for a while even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Droopy

Droopy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unkown
      Thanks. I have seen two ENTs, everything is normal, and everyone is telling me there is nothing I can do.
      I don't listen to loud music, but I did throughout my 20s. Loud music and noise began to annoy me about 10 years ago. I even wear earplugs into bars and movie theaters.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you listen to audio through headphones? Something causes tinnitus to become worse. If there is no underlying medical condition causing it to become worse, then the usual reason is exposure to loud sounds. Please get a referral to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist whose trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus. Please read the post below that I have recently written to another member on this forum.

Michael

Doctors are trained to know about the anatomy of the ear and how to treat things that go wrong with it medically or surgically. This will involve conditions such as Meniere's disease etc. Contrary to what some people believe Doctors, especially those that work in ENT know very little about tinnitus because the majority of them have never experienced it. In my opinion, it is virtually impossible for anyone to have an understanding of tinnitus unless they have experienced it.

It is for this reason once ENT doctors have carried out tests on a person's auditory system: Hearing Tests and MRI scan etc. If these tests show no abnormalities then a patient is normally referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist whose trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus. There are many treatments available once a person is under the care of these health professionals. Briefly: Hearing aids, TRT treatment, CBT, Mindfullness, counselling and more.

Hearing Therapists and Audiologists that work with tinnitus patients and administer the treatments above are the people with knowledge about tinnitus, not the doctors. Furthermore, it is not unusual to find most of them were either born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life. They will have an understanding of tinnitus and be able to empathise with what you are going through because they have experience of the condition. If you want help with your PT or straightforward tinnitus then get a referral to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for treatment. Please click on the link below to read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Droopy

Droopy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unkown
      Thanks for the info. No, I do not wear headphones. I have been ridiculously religious about avoiding loud sounds for 10 years now.