Boston-Based Doctor Specializing in Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jsakovits, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jsakovits

Jsakovits Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Three years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower and back fire snow blower
      Starting in the fall I was under a lot of stress as a result of losing a good friend. I have had an MRI and a CT (angiogram?) and they have been reviewed by my local ENT and two otolaryngologists in Boston and they all said no vascular issues and indicated need to address anxiety around this.

Any suggestions on a Boston doctor specialized in pulsatile tinnitus or how to work through this?

Much appreciated!

2. Stillsearching

Stillsearching Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Been a few weeks since this post so hopefully you find this.

Dr. mohamad abdalkader out of BMC is absolutely brilliant. I had a cta done in January, have seen multiple doctors who couldn't say anything. Spent 5 minutes with Dr. Abdalkader and he found my issue instantly (oversized mastoid emissary vein. Benign and likely congenital). I have spent 15+ years searching for answers and he cracked the case in minutes. Was incredibly thorough, informative and helpful. I can't recommend him enough.

3. Poppy Traxler

Poppy Traxler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute Labrythitus
      I'll definitely keep Dr. Mohamad Abdalkader at BMC in my files. However, I'm in California. I've had multiple CTs, ultrasound(s), MRI, MRA and a cranial angiogram. What I have learned in my research/despair of this PT, is that my doctors here in California are so very ignorant, and have advised me only to stay in hypotherapy. I've been in hypnosis for a few months. Surprisingly it does help with PT. "There is nothing we can do." <-- that seems to be a blanket response from my doctors.
      When I ask for a referral, what is apparent is how much I realize medical science hasn't figured out yet. I've received zero referrals.

4. Stillsearching

Stillsearching Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went through the same thing Dr. Abdalkader found the issue instantly it was so surreal. I wonder if you could email him and find a way. What kind of doctors have you seen? Have you seen a neuro interventional radiologist?

5. Wheella

Wheella Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chiropractic neck adjustment
      @Stillsearching Did your doctor propose a treatment plan? My neuro radiologist diagnosed that I have internal jugular vein stenosis, to be treated through medication.

6. Stillsearching

Stillsearching Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fortunately mine is benign. He can basically seal off the vein if the PT is bothering me, but otherwise no need. I'm just glad it's not something dangerous

7. Wheella

Wheella Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Stillsearching, how does one seal off the vein? Are we talking about an embolization or a coiling? Would this lead to other problems like higher intracranial pressure?

8. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      The answer to this is not simple, but I'll try to make it so. The short answer is no, if you have normal vasculature, you can lose one of the large dural sinus veins without significant issues. I know this because it happened to me. Sometimes this is how DAVF are treated. Or, in my case, in the pathological course of the fistula, one of those veins will shut down, sometimes also taking down the fistula with it.

Usually to have higher intracranial pressure, there would need to be stenosis, or narrowing on both sides of the head. For me, the aforementioned vein did re-open after the fistula was treated, but it was significantly narrowed. The vein on the opposite side of my head was stented, so it would remain open as part of the treatment. A skilled surgeon will take all of these things into account.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      A more modern way to treat these now, is to stent the vein to open it more, as opposed to shutting it down. I have a stent in, and it's really not a big deal. I regularly forget it was ever done.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Stillsearching

Stillsearching Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You had a dilated emissary vein? I just got an update actually for a few more findings. High riding jugular bulb and prominent condylar vein.

11. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      No, I had a dural arteriovenous fistula dumping into that vein, which damaged it. The vein shut down and later re-opened after it was treated.

12. Wheella

Wheella Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you @tiniturtle. I didn't know you could sacrifice an entire vein, this is very new to me.

13. Stillsearching

Stillsearching Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They want to run some more tests I may have that as well. I've asked before but what were your other symptoms? Any vertigo? Any ringing?

14. David Dorci

David Dorci Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication, Depression
      Can you tell me if you had a venogram from him? I am scheduled to have one although he seems to think he will not find anything. How was it? I am having it done because a doctor in NY said I may have transverse sinus issue.

Did your tinnitus sync with your pulse? Mine only does sometimes.

Thanks.

15. scotty03874

scotty03874 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to the ear / Leading to more issues after ear surgery