Can Diazepam Cause Intermittent "Zaps"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ivano_m, Aug 10, 2024.

1. Ivano_m
      Furious

Ivano_m Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe headphones or cold
      I've been taking 2 mg of Diazepam both in the morning and evening for the past 12 days, and I'm supposed to continue this regimen for a total of 20 days. After that, I will reduce the dose to 2 mg only in the evening for another 20 days.

Since yesterday, I've been experiencing intermittent "zaps," and I'm trying to determine whether they could be a side effect of the medication, if the dosage might be too high, or if it could be related to having blown my nose too hard, as the zaps started immediately afterward.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You haven't mentioned what you are taking the Diazepam for, @Ivano_m?

Medicines can affect people and tinnitus in different ways. I was prescribed Diazepam many years ago to help with tinnitus management, and found that it helped reduce the stress and anxiety the tinnitus was causing. I think it's best you discuss any concerns about this medication with your GP/PCP.

All the best,
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ivano_m
      Furious

Ivano_m Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe headphones or cold
      I'm taking Diazepam because of the onset of pulsatile tinnitus, which has thrown me into a state of severe anxiety. But in your opinion, is the dose I'm taking high or low?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was prescribed 2 mg of Diazepam to take daily. I note that you are taking 2 mg twice daily.

Unfortunately, I am unable to advise on whether the amount of Diazepam you are taking is too much or not enough for your needs as I am not a doctor. As far as I know, Diazepam belongs to the family of benzodiazepines.

I take Clonazepam to help manage my tinnitus when it is severe. It is a benzodiazepine, and I have found it very helpful. When pulsatile or regular tinnitus is severe and causes stress and anxiety, sometimes the only option is to take medication to help with management.

Please talk to your ENT/GP/PCP about how you feel.

I hope you start to feel better soon,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Ivano_m, can you skip the Diazepam for a day or two to see how things are?

I am not aware of this as a side effect of Diazepam. But in general, 4 mg is not a huge daily amount. When I went into a psychiatric hospital because of tinnitus, I was put on c. 30 mg of Diazepam per day. I was told even that was not huge (though it is a pretty high dose).

Diazepam comes in tablets of 10 mg (in addition to 5 mg and 2 mg), so that should put things into perspective a little more.