Can Fluoxetine 20 mg for 4 Days Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by badears, Nov 2, 2023.

1. badears

badears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys. I took Fluoxetine 20 mg for 4 days a few months ago. I think on the last day I had tinnitus so I stopped taking it and it went away.

Recently I got tinnitus in one of my ears. I assume it started only because I can't remember being so bothered by it before. I thought it was from my computer at first but I realized it's coming from my own ear. I hear it loudly in silence like at night or when I put headphones on. Could it be from the Fluoxetine, or maybe I damaged my ears listening to music in my headphones? :(

I am 25 years old so I assume it is not from age deterioration. I am so upset with thinking about health problems all of the time, this tinnitus is driving me crazy. My other health problem calmed down and now I have another, permanent tinnitus? :(

2. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Everyone is different so there's always the possibility. I don't know if this helps but I take 20 mg of Fluoxetine daily. I actually started on the antidepressant after my onset of tinnitus and use the medication to combat depression/anxiety. I've never really noticed a distinct difference between when I'm off or on that particular medicine. I'm also 99% sure my tinnitus is noise induced from decades of noise exposure, including headphone use. So maybe I'm not the right guy to lean on. But I just wanted you to know that personally Fluoxetine has been a net positive for me.

I very much hope that your tinnitus is temporary. Try to keep doing life as normally as you can while being wary of noise exposure would be my recommendation. The more you obsess, the more you'll obsess. God Bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I took Lexapro and my tinnitus started pretty quickly and has never gone away.

If your tinnitus was caused by the medicine, I don't think it would have gone away and come back months later. The medicine might have amplified it early on. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1