Can PCSK9 Inhibitors (Leqvio) Make Tinnitus Worse? What Do You Take for High Cholesterol?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BrianW, Jun 20, 2024.

1. BrianW

BrianW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Atorvastatin cholesterol medication
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post. My question is: if you believe, as I do, that a cholesterol-lowering statin such as atorvastatin caused your tinnitus, what have you taken or done to manage your cholesterol levels safely? Has anyone here had experience taking a PCSK9 inhibitor such as Leqvio to manage their cholesterol? If so, has it affected your tinnitus? I ask because I need to be permanently vigilant about the impact medications may have on my tinnitus. My story follows below, if you care to read it, but I am primarily interested in your input on this question.

I am a 44-year-old male. Twenty-four years ago, while serving as a Peace Corps volunteer abroad, I had a severe ear infection accompanied by bad congestion. At one point, I believe mucus might have entered the Eustachian tubes near my right ear. I experienced severe vertigo and developed tinnitus, which faded over time. Over the years, the tinnitus became almost inaudible and was not a significant problem in my life. However, I always worried about it getting worse and have always been highly diligent about protecting my hearing with earplugs as needed.

Fast forward to February 2024. I began taking a high dose (30 mg) of atorvastatin daily for a few weeks, as my cholesterol was quite high despite a mostly pescatarian diet with almost no red meat. In addition to causing very painful neuropathy in my legs, this medication quickly led to a much more significant level of tinnitus, which had now become a major problem in my life. I discontinued the medication and informed my doctor that I would not be taking any more statins. After 24 years of stability with almost non-existent tinnitus, everything worsened once I took atorvastatin, and I can only conclude that this was the cause. There was no unusual exposure to loud sounds and no other significant changes in my life.

Despite a major cleanup of my diet, my cholesterol has returned to a high level, and I'm seeking advice on what to do. My doctor told me about another class of injectable cholesterol-lowering drugs called PCSK9 inhibitors. I now have to take something for my high "bad" cholesterol levels, and I'm interested in anyone's input on this subject. Has anyone here tried it?

In closing, let me say that habituation with tinnitus is possible. When my tinnitus worsened four months ago, I was in very bad shape and having dark thoughts, including "I cannot live like this." I have two young kids and a lot to live for, so this was a big problem. I immediately sought help and did research online. I never seriously entertained the possibility of a cure, so my strategy was always to look for ways to cope. For me, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and intensive sound therapy (which I've since tapered to only during the nights) were very helpful. I worked with Dr. Bruce Hubbard and highly recommend him to anyone needing help. He and his website offer a wealth of practical help. Four months into my journey, I can say that I'm in a much better place. I think I'm as habituated as I am likely to get, and tinnitus mostly does not bother me; I frequently do not notice it. If you had told me four months ago that this would be the case, I would not have believed it possible. So to anyone reading this who might be in the throes of tinnitus distress, hang in there; it does get better. I know it may be very hard, if not impossible, to believe when this problem is at its worst, but just give it some more time and let time do its thing.