Can Tinnitus Be Caused by Pregnancy? I've Now Had Tinnitus for Five Weeks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lola808, May 11, 2020.

1. Lola808
      Amazed

Lola808 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss wearing headphones to bed
      I'm 39, soon to be 40. Female. I recently had my first episode of blasting tinnitus in mid April. It woke me up, at first I thought it was a bad hangover from the wine I had the night before. I at first doused it with diazepam that I had on hand to help me sleep. It kept blasting me. Then a few days later found I was pregnant. My body's way of saying don't drink?

I switched to Citalopram, but the side effects were not worth it, my tinnitus did not come down and all I wanted to do was sleep and be alone. I went in and got tested and I have very slight high frequency hearing loss but recognize all words in speech. I notice when I drink wine that I tend to lose my hearing. I'm ok with never drinking again. 100%. I had already slowed down due to Coronavirus and wanting a strong immune system.

I was 50/50 referred to get hearing aids for high frequency hearing loss. Saw two ENTs and two audiologists. My friend ENT said there is no need for hearing aids while the ENT's audiologist said to try them. Then I went to my provider's audiologist who said no need for hearing aids while the ENT said they can't hurt.

So I have been wearing hearing aids.

It has now been 5 weeks with tinnitus. The last week I had no tinnitus in right ear for most part, I sleep very peacefully, I woke up with it in left ear but it goes up and down and sometimes goes away. Till I put in the hearing aids. This seems to turn up the tinnitus in my left ear and it hurts and becomes more reactive as the day progresses. I'll come home take the hearing aids out and it lowers the tinnitus and I'm for most part functioning.

Does anyone know of tinnitus being started in early pregnancy? Non pulsatile. Does anyone think the tinnitus might go away? What are your thoughts on if I should stick with the hearing aids? They are more annoying than anything. I don't want the hair cells I have left for high frequencies to die. I left the hearing aids out today to see what happens in the right ear. You think this is ok?

I've been reading on the device (Lenire) from Dublin? Any opinions on that?

Thank in you in advance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Lola,

Get rid of the hearing aids and your ENT.
      Protect your ears.

The tinnitus may very well go over the next few months.
      Take a look at the research section and read about Frequency Therapeutics and other regenerative therapies, that may hit the shelves between 2 and 10 years. Split the difference and call it 5. These drugs will help you, I and many here believe.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is fading, and this is happening a lot faster than usual. Unless you hurt your ears again, there is no reason why it shouldn't continue to fade.

You will want to make sure that you don't hurt your ears during this period of vulnerability as your body is healing. You will want to avoid taking ototoxic drugs, avoid microsuction or syringing (performed when you need to clean wax out of your ears; a manual tool should be used), and not let your dental hygienist use an ultrasonic scaling tool on you (a manual tool should be used). For more details, see

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you began wearing the hearing aids before you got tinnitus?

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lenire-—-user-experiences-and-reviews.35776/
      There are a number of promising treatments in the pipeline, but it will likely take 5 years or more before they are available:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lola808
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer one thing you said that does give me hope is that my steady decline is a positive sign. You made my heart sing. Not to loud.. Ha ha...

I honestly do not know what sets the tinnitus off. Since working at home I had increased coffee intake, reduced what I drank but had a bottle of wine that night, did increase the canned meats I ate I guess the preservatives and salts are bad. Every trigger I was playing with. I just did not understand why that day.

I swear I'll never drink again if I can get back to silence.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The scariest/worst kind of tinnitus is the one that's relentlessly at the same volume level and pitch. When it begins fading, it continues to fade unless something happens to get it to stop fading.

One thing to keep in mind is that the more it fades, the slower it begins to fade. This is what one would expect if it were to decrease at a constant percentage rate. Initially 1% of a large number is a large number itself. After the total decreases a lot, 1% of the total is much smaller, and one might not be able to register that change.

Ears heal slowly, but they Do heal.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lola808
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer or anyone else who might have some input.

Today I was able to go to work. It was amazing. I have slight tinnitus in the back of my left side today. No spikes no anything. That is two days in a row. Could this be a fluke. It is really strange. As I was preparing to fight this till a cure/treatment became available. I am praying and hoping. I almost could not sleep last night as I was afraid once I went to sleep I would wake up with it again. This has been constant for 5 weeks.

So I have scheduled a new session with a Chiropractor Wed and acupuncture on Thursday. The Chiropractor will be a brand new session. Should I maybe avoid it as possibly might change the current course things have taken?

Can anyone explain what could possibly be going on? I do not want to jinx it. Praying Praying Praying.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lola808
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's back. Was nice to have a day.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lola808
      Amazed

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister lives in Dublin. If I got Lenire would it maybe help the tingling on left side and hose noise? Would I be eligible to try FX-322 I wonder? Is it moving to phase 3 soon?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Progesterone goes up in pregnancy from what I’ve heard and that is one candidate for the increase.

• Like Like x 1