CBD for Noxacusis: Can It Cause or Worsen Visual Snow?

Discussion in 'Support' started by haha ear go eeee, Jul 19, 2023.

1. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Hi there!

So I'm getting some weird eye issues with my primarily middle ear noxacusis, I feel like it's bordering on visual snow.

If I continue to worsen like this, my first choice of medication is CBD isolate. I'm going to attempt high consistent dosages of it in attempt to open the Kv7.2/7.3 potassium channels. The only thing I'm worried about is worsening my eye issues with this approach. I know Trobalt and Gabapentin gave people visual snow and we don't know for sure what potassium channels are causing this.

Has anyone had any experience with medications that helped their noxacusis symptoms but didn't cause or worsen visual snow? If you had pre-existing visual snow and you tried the CBD approach above, did it worsen it?

Thank you!

2. naota

naota Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried full spectrum CBD oil. It was great for my anxiety, which of course indirectly helped with noxacusis, although had no direct effect on my symptoms. But pretty soon my tolerance went up, and I felt its benefits less and less. Eventually I stopped. This is probably an unpopular opinion here due to the supposed ototoxicity, but what I found to be most beneficial during setbacks was Ibuprofen. Helps with the pain and shortens the time I need to recover to my current baseline.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Thanks for starting this thread; I'm potentially interested in trying CBD oil for my symptoms too. I am admittedly concerned about the potential for ototoxicity though... it seems opinion on this topic is mixed.

Maybe you could start out with a small dose & see how you do?

CGRP blockers are also something you may want to look into if you're looking to try something. CGRP contributes to pain transmission & inflammation & helps keep the TTM overload cycle going in the Norena model. Megan Beers Wood's current research is also looking at the effects of CGRP blocking (& her work is based on an inner ear mechanism for pain hyperacusis).

• Like Like x 2
    4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You are worried about ototoxicity but at the same time you are going to apply for MAID (euthanasia)? What sense does that make? Shouldn't you try every opportunity medicine and treatment wise, ototoxic or not, before literally dying?

5. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Let us know if you do decide to try! I obtained a medical note so I can get it for cheaper if I do decide to try.

On another note, have you found a good source?

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      I'm going to get a medical note as well when I decide to take it! So I'm in Canada, I don't know any good ones around here. I'm hoping once I have a prescription, a doctor will be able to request Epidiolex for me from the United States. It's only available there and I believe it's the purest CBD isolate you can get. Extract Labs is pretty good if you're not able to get a prescription.