Clicking Sounds Whenever I Speak

Discussion in 'Support' started by Momo Wilke, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Momo Wilke

Momo Wilke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4-5/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

A few months ago I have noticed that I started hearing clicking noises everytime I speak and it hasn't gone away. It only happens when I talk while exhaling and it has become very distracting during conversations.

When I go to sleep with my head faced to the side, this clicking noise becomes louder which sound somewhat like footsteps in wet grass. I don't know how this happens? I occasionally have nightmares because of this.

Does any of this have a relation to tinnitus or is it a side effect of brain damage? If this may be tinnitus, can it be caused by just a few punches to the head? I rarely have any exposures to loud sounds and I take great care of my ears. I'm wondering if I should see a doctor about this.

Please let me know.

Thanks you.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    3. wiektor

wiektor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammering a shelf together + stress?
      I have this too.

Do you hear the click when you blow air from your mouth too? I can also trigger my click by nodding up and down (to all possible extent) while looking to the sides.

I think it's Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I had it go away for a few days recently, but it came back.

4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The clicking sound is from the Eustachian tube opening after the tensor veli palatini muscle is contracted. Some people, like me, can voluntarily control this muscle and make their ears click at will. I can also contract mine to hold my Eustachian tubes open and I can blow air through them. This is a skill that is often associated with deep-sea divers.

The average person will hear the click/s when talking or swallowing as that also activates the same muscle that opens one’s Eustachian tube. It is nothing to worry about and is completely normal.

Most people don’t hear the click simply because their brain blocks it out; like the feeling of how uncomfortable your tongue sits within your mouth. You don’t think about it, but if you did, you could drive yourself mad in the realisation that your tongue actually does feel awkward, but you just never paid attention to it before.

ETD can amplify and make the click worse, and for some people like me, it often turns into more of a squelch when I’ve got a cold as you can hear the stickiness of the mucus.

5. Brittani

Brittani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, have any of you found anything that resolves this?

@Momo Wilke, it sounds like we are dealing with the same issue. I am very curious how you resolved it?