Connection Between Worsened Tinnitus and Phentermine (Adipex-P)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardGuy, Jul 8, 2022.

1. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      Hi people. Long time no see.

I've been taking Phentermine to help with weight loss (also known as Adipex-P) since May 18 and twice now had noticeable increases in tinnitus. The first time coincided with a day of louder than normal activities, so I did not consider Phentermine to be the cause of (or related to) this increase. Today, however, I woke up with much louder tinnitus, although it faded quite a bit in the coming minutes, is still far more obnoxious than it was yesterday.

There is one thing in common in both incidents: Both times I was taking Phentermine, and the day of the worsening or days prior I had taken other medications with the Phentermine. The first time, I had taken Prednisone (which had previously helped!) for a week alongside the Phentermine, and near the end of the course I began experiencing the more intrusive ringing. Now, I have been taking 400/800 mg Ibuprofen per day (depending on the day) to deal with inflammation of the chest for the last five days, and last night took Diphenhydramine 25 mg to help with sleep. Keep in mind that this is not the first time I've taken any of the other medications; I've taken up to 1600 mg of Ibuprofen (prescription strength) per day after dental surgery and 25 mg diphenhydramine for sleep for weeks at a time.

Other than a lack of sleep, I can see no possible causes for these spikes other than the ototoxicity of mixed medications.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'd put my money on the Ibuprofen. It drives up TNF alpha = inflammation.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      You think it's possible that the combination of both medications led to a perceived increase in tinnitus volume? I've not had issues with one or the other in the past.