Did Using Headphones Cause My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chikaku, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Chikaku
      Worried

Chikaku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Inner Ear Infection or Headphones?
      Hello everyone, I’m just looking for advice/reassurance and seeking anyone with similar experiences.

Here is a list of what I’ve been going through this past month:
      • May 1-4: I noticed some low ringing in my ears.
      • May 5: My right ear became quite bothersome, so I went to Urgent Care, and they decided to clean out the wax. I felt good, and my symptoms subsided.
      • May 6: The symptoms came back.
      • May 15: I was able to see my PCP, who gave me a referral to an ENT. During this time, my ears rang a lot more, especially my right ear, and it also felt full.
      • May 17: I didn’t have much ringing, but my right ear felt extremely full and gave off a sound of whooshing. The doctor said I didn’t have any ear infection but had me do a hearing test. I had significant hearing loss in the higher frequencies. He prescribed me Prednisone for two weeks.
      • May 18: The feeling of fullness is completely gone, but the ringing still lingers and is quite musical.
      • May 19-21: I have pretty consistent symptoms. The ringing persists but is manageable. No more musical tinnitus, but now I have occasional popping in my ears.
      • May 22: I called the doctor for potential updates, such as signs I’m getting my hearing back or the ringing is going to go away. He hasn’t responded. His secretary said I have to wait until I’m done with the two weeks of steroids.
      • May 28: My ear fullness is gone but the ringing persists.
      • Today (June 5): My ears still ring, but I feel like it's been fading very slowly. That might just be me being optimistic, though :(
      I’ve been reading around a lot, and for many, it’s a wait and see what happens. On the paperwork, it seems like he put my diagnosis as sudden sensorineural hearing loss. I'm unsure how this could’ve happened; maybe years of headphone use? Even so, I never thought I listened to it that loud :( I'm not sure what to do or think. Sometimes, I can't hear my tinnitus over sounds, but other times, I can. I really want it to go away, but if it doesn't, I'm really scared it'll get worse...

Any response would be appreciated!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Chikaku.

Many things can cause tinnitus, including an ear infection, as mentioned in your profile. However, the most common cause is exposure to loud noise, and the main culprit is listening to audio through headphones, earbuds, headsets, noise-canceling, and bone-conduction headphones at too high a volume without realizing it. If you have been listening to audio through these devices regularly, your tinnitus is probably noise-induced.

If your tinnitus is caused by headphones, then I strongly advise you not to use them even at low volume. The same applies to the other devices mentioned.

Please click on the link below and read my thread: I have noise-induced tinnitus. What should I do? Read all of the posts listed on the page, which you will find on my started threads. I advise that you print them and refer to them often instead of reading on your phone or computer screen. This way, you will absorb and retain the information better.

I wish you well,
      Michael

I Have Noise-Induced Tinnitus — What Should I Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Focus on that, and control your emotions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      SSNHL is unrelated to headphone use. It is often idiopathic, so it is unlikely that you caused it somehow. You did the typical treatment (Prednisone), but the outcomes can be quite variable. When are you going to have your next hearing test?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chikaku
      Worried

Chikaku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My next hearing test is in early August. He ruled out sudden SSNHL because the losses were minor. I'm really scared... I want it to go away. I've been trying to distract myself, but it always comes back. Any advice?

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @Chikaku, you're confusing me. You said both:
      and
      So, have you been formally diagnosed as SSNHL or not? One criterion is 30 dB losses in three consecutive frequencies. Perhaps your losses don't meet that? (See here.) You can check it on your audiogram. Are you able to post your audiogram here? You can redact out any personal information if you are.
      What you feel is typical and expected in the early stages of tinnitus. You should know that many cases of tinnitus resolve spontaneously, so don't lose hope. I suspect yours will be very tied to the recovery of your hearing, so let's hope for the best there. In the meantime, I would treat your ears with utmost care and avoid loud noises.

Good luck!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chikaku
      Worried

Chikaku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can do that. Here is the audiogram result when I saw the ENT for the first time. I went in because my right ear was acting weird, as I described above.

IMG_1593.jpg

After this result, he gave me Prednisone for two weeks. Two weeks passed, and I went in for another audiogram. This is the result:

IMG_1594.jpg

He said I probably had the losses at 6 kHz and 8 kHz before this instance came up... If that is true, how did I never notice the tinnitus if it was due to hearing loss? I would appreciate any response you could give about my situation. I've been trying to stay calm and live my life best. My ENT wants to see me in 2-3 months to do another audiogram, but after reading some stuff online, it seems like the outcome is very 50/50.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know what makes him think that you already had losses before, but it's totally possible to have hearing loss and no tinnitus. That's what most people experience when they age.

It's possible that your event was "the straw that broke the camel's back," but I don't think anyone can really tell at this point.
      That makes sense. It will help you figure out whether your hearing has stabilized or not.

At some point, it may be beneficial for you to look into hearing aids.

Also, consider doing hearing tests at various other providers so you don't have a provider-driven bias in your results.

9. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      How old are you? Your audiogram looks OK for a 65-year-old.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chikaku
      Worried

Chikaku Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am 23...

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      May I ask which Curcumin you are taking? I can't find the one you mention on your profile.

Is it still working?

12. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Yeah, it's part of my holy trinity of supplements to help with inflammation.

My bad, it's actually called "CurcuBrain."

• Like Like x 1