Does Anybody’s Tinnitus Spike If They Sit in a Particular Position?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I’ve noticed that if I sit a certain way sometimes I get a spike followed by my ear blocking, the spike normally goes in about 10-20 seconds but my ear still feels blocked for a good time later (which makes me anxious) It doesn’t always happen when I sit in that particular position. It also happens in different positions, again it doesn’t always spike if I sit that way.

Is this classed as somatic tinnitus?

I’ve been looking for a good chiropractor but the ones I’ve spoken to don’t seem to know much about T.

Does anybody else have this issue?

2. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      Yes I have the same, the position I stay influences a lot my tinnitus

also if I walk my tinnitus stops, and then when I sit, it starts again after 30 seconds...

laying in bed is where it becomes louder, but also sometimes I wake up without it, or very diminushed, and then after a few minutes it starts...

sometimes i feel it's like a radio and I'm sintonized into the noise or not...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here in regards to my sitting position. I want to get a good chiropractor and see if they can help. I always thought I had good posture but maybe not?
      Mine pretty much stays at the same level when I’m laying down. T sure is a crazy and unpredictable force sometimes.

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I know running causes my T go up.

5. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      Yes. Anytime my head is tilted to the right for an extended amount of time, the T tone intensifies. My head tilts right anyway from previous neck injuries. This tendency to tilt further right has contributed to a lot my symptoms since being gifted with this terrible T. Also, sleeping on my back with the head to the right means I wake up with a nasty surprise, so I try to avoid that at all costs. Always with the head to the left now. Chiropractor and PT certainly help with these issues. For me anyway.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Never been a “running” person, love the idea but I couldn’t get into it. I’ve been the gym a few times since but got some spikes about and hour or so afterwards. I’ve always been a active person boxing, gym, cycling etc but haven’t done much of that apart from walking since I got T.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear about the neck injury, hope it’s not too serious? Does the chiropractor sessions reduce the T?

• Like Like x 1
    8. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jcb Thank you for that. I truly don't know how serious it is, but I dismissed for way too long and this has probably contributed to my T. My PT person says I have a lot of scar tissue in my neck and I'm also doing exercises everyday. The chiropractor did help initially after 6 sessions and I did notice a reduction in T tone, but we hit a plateau and I haven't been back. My plan is to visit an upper cervical chiropractor in the near future though. Right now I'm exhausted of seeing Dr's and my wallet is a lot lighter because of it!

Have you had any tests for your TMJ? X-ray, MRI, or CT scans?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve been the dentist, he said I could be grinding my teeth in my sleep and was given some exercises to do, they really haven’t helped so may need a splint for night time but I’m wary about getting one as reading up the results are so varied. I’ve been trying to look for a good chiropractor but no luck so far, I’ve got an appointment for the ENT but that’s months away unfortunately. I’m still not 100 % what caused my T which is so frustrating.
      Ha I’ve got a feeling I may be spending a small fortune in finding some relief from this and I’m with you on being exhausted of seeing doctors.
      Hopefully your neck injury won’t be too serious.

10. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheers man I will take a look at that. I can imagine, are you getting used to wearing it?

12. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea, but made some additional dietary changes. Everything is cut into small pieces and I grind almonds and trail mix so it's easier on the orthotic and jaw. I still slur my speech at times but I'm so far beyond giving a sh-t what anybody thinks while I deal with the alarm going off in my ear.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely agree, I wouldn’t give one single f**k what anybody thinks especially if this will help you in the long run. Is your T loud?

14. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can be. I seem to have 2 main sounds that seem to fluctuate throughout the day. 1 is high tone around 9100hz that pulses every second or so and the other sounds like power line or radiator and that's going on every moment I'm awake.

How about you?

15. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      Anyone with the same problem?

If I stay in the same position my tinnitus increases.

Someone here experiences the same thing?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I seem to have 2 tones and a morse code type of beep, the 1st one is high pitched and the second sounds like static. I’m not sure how loud they are but I’m going to they are mild/modirate but all 3 combined are so intense at times and can drive me crazy.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here, I think it’s to due with your neck muscles and back. Have you seen a chiropractor or doctor?

18. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jcb Our issues sound similar! I can turn off the high pitch tone with repositioning my head, but only when I'm lying down. I've been doing daily neck/shoulder exercises for the past 1.5 months. Here's my routine:

CERVICAL SPINE - 48 Neck Extension On all fours, head lowered, slowly raise head and jut chin. Repeat 15 times per set. Do 2 sets per session. Do 3 sessions per day. CERVICAL SPINE - 1 AROM: Neck Rotation Turn head slowly to look over one shoulder, then the other. Hold each position 5 seconds. Repeat 8 times per set. Do 2 sets per session. Do 2 sessions per day. NECK - 9 Side Benders Gently grasp side of head with one hand, placing the other hand behind back. Tilt head away until a gentle stretch is felt. Hold 30 seconds. Repeat to other side. Repeat 2 times. Do 2 sessions per day. SPINAL MOBILIZATION - 9 Upper Cervical Extension (Sitting) With hands clasped firmly behind neck, gently bend head back. Do not allow movement under or below hands. Hold 3 seconds. Relax. Repeat 15 times per set. Do 1 sets per session. Do 6 sessions per day. SHOULDER - 100 Scapular Retraction (Prone) Lie with arms above head. Pinch shoulder blades together. Repeat 12 times per set. Do 2 sets per session. Do 2 sessions per day. SHOULDER - 107 Scapular Retraction: Abduction (Prone) Lie with upper arms straight out from sides, elbows bent to 90°. Pinch shoulder blades together and raise arms a few inches from floor. Repeat 15 times per set. Do 2 sets per session. Do 2 sessions per day

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They do indeed, but when I’m lying down I’m fine I rarely get a spike.
      Thanks man I really appreciate you taking the time to type them exercises out. I’ll definitely be trying them.
      Have they helped any?

20. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jcb - No problem on the exercises. I'd like to think the exercises are working specifically on my tinnitus, but I'm attacking this condition multiple different ways and I'm not entirely sure what's helping most with T, or if at all. I can say that I feel better mentally and emotionally after doing these exercises and that in itself is a win in my eyes. Sadly there's no quick fix with this condition - at least for me.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope there isn’t a quick fix unfortunately, hopefully you’ll see some good results soon. That’s always a plus if it helps you mentally and emotionally as that’s half of the battle. I’ve started with the exercises so hopefully I’ll see a difference soon.