Does the Absence of Ear Symptoms Guarantee No Damage Was Done from a Loud Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dd314, Jul 15, 2024.

1. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      I was just exposed to a very loud firework from a distant neighbor.

I don't know how far away it was, but I'd guess it was anywhere in the 95-102 db range. It was a very low-frequency "thud" sound and even had a bit of a shockwave. Like most people on this forum, I have noise-induced tinnitus and have been avoiding loud sounds for years on end.

I'm absolutely terrified that it caused damage, but I will say that it did not give me any noticeable ear sensations, like pain, aural fullness, muted feeling, or pressure — none of that.

Now it's the next morning, and my tinnitus is slightly elevated, but still no real ear sensations to speak of.

Is that a good sign?

2. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Try not to overthink it, brother. Even if the noise itself doesn't cause a spike, stress certainly will. Let's hope it's just a very temporary elevated perception.

• Like Like x 1
    3. LukeYoung
      Cold

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      If you have no immediate symptoms, I would take it as a good sign. Anxiety about it will likely cause a spike and make you spiral. Try not to worry until there is some evidence of it, if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1