Domestic Argument, Spike and Frustration

Discussion in 'Support' started by spikedears, Jan 20, 2018.

1. spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      I recently had an argument with my partner. Her frustration at the way I am letting T take over is largely behind it, in the sense that our life is different now than before I had my flare up.

I have taken to wearing plugs and earplugs when I drive, with the slamming doors and road noise. The occlusion effect is quite bad in these, and so I tend to talk more quietly. My refusal to talk louder until the car had stopped caused a big argument.

Phrases such as 'embarrassment', 'feel pity and regret towards you' etc flew out. There was also a moment when my parter exited the car in anger and slammed the door shut, despite knowing my issue with this.

My question essentially is with the door slammed aggressively shut, will earmuffs (peltor ones, ironically the only protection I had on), protect against this sort of loud impact sound?

Thanks for reading, if you got this far. Help needed!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope you break up with her, now that she had shown her true face.
      It is a good thing that you had your muffs on. I believe that in the worst case scenario you will get a temporary (lasting at most a week) spike. You don't want to be exposed to shocks like that often, but it is inevitable for them to happen sometimes. This doesn't promote your recovery, but shouldn't end your recovery for good either.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try and not use earplugs too often as they can cause more problems on top of what you already have. Please click on the links below and read my posts.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Im sure that if you both spend time on here together she will be better prepared to understand more about tinnitus and how others struggle at times.
      Love glynis

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Alternatively, you can keep doing what you have been doing (thus keeping your ears safe), and just ensure that you watch TV at the highest volume at which you can watch it for a long time and not end up with a spike. This will ensure that you won't develop H. This will also reduce the probability that your T will spike.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As long as he doesn't overuse hearing protection which many people in this forum do, then I don't think he'll have any problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Sorry to hear about your experience

If they were peltor x5a muffs you would have had amoung the best possible protection on the general consumer market, so theres really not much else you can do now.

If you were wearing muffs, I don't think you need to worry about the door slam unless you were driving a ww2 tank or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      As usual Michael and Glynis are spot on! Please do not overprotect your ears, tis simply trains your mind for negativity and even normal/non-harmful sounds will affect you. You don't want to build up an OCD to normal/non-harmful sounds.

Your mind/brain is the masterpiece and the controlling mechanism, if you start training it the wrong way, it can cause hardship. I speak from experience and I know just how painful it can get, do as you please, but overprotecting is not a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Thanks guys for responding to me. The muffs seemingly did protect me!

Thanks @fishbone I am trying to lessen the protection as I have ben wearing it constantly and my mind is in a very dark and fearful place! I wear the protection as I am not sure how I'll cope with worsening T

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @spikedears

You did not explain why you had T in the first place

11. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      @Bobby B - says it in my little profile bit. Attended a concert with heavy, heavy bass. Was near a speaker at the front for several hours. When I left my hearing was muffled and has never been the same since.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Ok got it sorry - did not show up on the iOS version then

Yes I would protect my ears then - you cannot fix the past but preventing future damage is key. I would sleep in another room for sure . Wearing plugs all night isn't going to cause irreversible damage but is not ideal for ear wax to flow out - it could accumulate near the ear drum and solidify

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      spikedears

spikedears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert and stress
      Thank you @Bobby B for replying and for the advice. Are you referring to my other thread with my partner coughing as soon as I had removed the earplugs?

Would you think that this is sufficient enough to cause any damage/spike?

In a bad state with this now. Can definitely hear that it has gotten worse, but hate protecting hearing around the house!