Ears Blocked After Nightclub, Tinnitus After Otrivine (Xylometazoline)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tritone, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Tritone

Tritone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hi all,

A month ago I went to a nightclub and the next morning my ears felt blocked and muffled, especially my right ear. After a week of no improvement I went to a GP who removed a large build up of earwax from both ears. I thought this would be the end of my ear problems.

My ears, however, still did not feel right. They still felt blocked, as if they would not 'pop' after a flight. In the following weeks I experienced (in no particular order) wind noises in my ears (for one day), muscles (or nerves?) twitching in and around my ear, and the sensation of something being in my ear. I was very concerned with this obviously.

A month after the issue arose I visited another GP outlining the problem. He said it was most likely ETD and gave me a nasal spray to decongest my sinuses (Otrivine Sinusitis Relief, Xylometazoline Hydrochloride 0.1% w/v). I was told to use it three times a day for a week. I took the spray immediately after arriving home. This is the first time I noticed tinnitus. I'm not sure if it was present before or not, but it felt like it just appeared in that moment. I am worried now about the spray in case that started the tinnitus (should I finish the treatment?)

That was now three days ago. I still have the ringing and also the ear blockages (mainly in my right). The tinnitus is a high constant tone, which makes it difficult to mask at times. It seems to remain at the same pitch and volume. The volume is probably on the milder side. I can hear it in a quiet room, but outside it's not so noticeable. I did notice brief moments of silence in the middle of the night when I woke up, but it has returned every morning since then and is then with me 24/7. I have noticed some mild hyperacusis as well, though I think this may be anxiety related.

I have given up headphones, alcohol, and loud events. I will only listen to music through speakers at a low volume and at a distance away from them. I am carrying around my earplugs (Crescendo - Fcking Loud 25, are these good enough?) all the time now. I am trying to be as careful as possible with my ears. I have accepted that I must live the rest of my life with this in mind.

My dream was to be a music composer / producer, but that dream is essentially over. All my life I have played and listened to music, even studied it in college, but now it seems pointless. I don't know if I have hearing loss, probably a small bit, but now it feels like I've just ruined music for myself forever. Besides, music is beautiful, but I would be tempted to trade it for silence.

I play both piano and organ. I am planning on giving them up immediately. Does anybody have any advice with regard to the organ - is it too risky to continue? I have to play the organ tomorrow, if I wear my earplugs and use soft stops, will this be ok?

I acknowledge that my tinnitus is probably mild and I have only had it for a very short while. I understand that there are people with much worse situations and I don't want to equate mine to yours. I'm sure many would trade positions in a heartbeat. My heart goes out to all of you in that boat and I will pray for you. I never understood the awfulness of this condition. As a side note, a family member has tinnitus (probably worse than mine) and seems to have habituated. Is it ok to mention it to them in case it makes them aware of it again?

As I am early twenties, I feel slightly aggrieved. My life felt like it was just beginning and now I am making contingency plans. I don't see how I can have a relationship or kids. I have no interest in meeting friends. What is the point in building a career or a life now? I am turning into a recluse. Even if, best case scenario, my tinnitus fades completely or I habituate, it could still just reappear again in the near future or even get worse. I don't want to feel any more tied to this earth than necessary in case it does.

I have always believed in God and I am praying that He will help me, but I have to admit my faith is being greatly challenged. Life feels broken now and the future looks bleak. The problems of the past feel so trivial too. What I would do to go back. I'm incredibly angry with myself for letting this happen, but also angry that this has happened to me.

I'm truly lost, and would greatly appreciate if anyone here could answer my questions or give me any advice. This seems like a great forum. Thank you very much for all your help and God bless you all.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Welcome to hell. Take it easy, protect your ears and stay away from loud noise and maybe you will be able to escape. Don't give up hope, you are young and can heal. And you are only one month in. It may be gone tomorrow or in a couple more months. Regardless, remain forever careful.

Of course talk to your relative. Tinnitus should not be a taboo topic. Everyone who has this shit should make sure everyone they know learns about it. Yet they keep it "secret".