Ex Marine + Music Producer with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Obe, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Obe

Obe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi I'm Chris. First post. I'm 40 and have had tinnitus since I can remember, although I'm sure it started sometime in my 20s and I just didn't notice it then.

I have it in both ears, various frequencies, non-stop. Occasionally I'll get a new frequency for a couple of days, then it goes away. Thank God. Sometimes I'll get hyperacusis for a particular frequency for a few days, then it goes away.

I always had subwoofers in my car growing up, so that probably didn't help. Then I joined the Marines, and the crappy earplugs during boot camp probably added to it. I also produce and edit music, so that's not helping either.

It's very hard for me to fall asleep. I can only dream what it would be like to hear silence at night. How much better my life would be.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Cmspgran
      Doubtful

Cmspgran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How are you getting on, @Obe? Sorry to hear of your suffering. I’d imagine the Marines was pretty rough sound wise. Hoping there’s some treatments on the horizon that can give you that relief.

3. Mike_CA

Mike_CA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      My understanding is that tinnitus is the #1 service connected disability with the military. I listen to crickets sounds at bedtime. There's a few I've found on YouTube that really helps me. Wishing you the best. Thank you for serving!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Obe

Obe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As far as the Marines go, most of us assume boot camp and training is well thought out and executed by the staff, but I don't think it is, particularly when it comes to loud noises. Prime example is the class action lawsuit against the military for faulty/cheap earplugs causing tinnitus in thousands of service members.

I have narrow ear canals, and I remember not only the earplugs not fitting well (too large), I also remember nobody ever asking if they fit. Therefore most of the time they were not properly fitted, and thus lots of high intensity sound waves rocking my eardrums. Granted, in war none of that matters, but in bootcamp you'd think they'd make some attempt to spare your hearing.