Exposed to Extremely Loud Hammering of Contractors in Home

Discussion in 'Support' started by SB93, Mar 26, 2024.

1. SB93

SB93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspected MRI; Possibly worsened by irrigation
      I live in a rented townhouse. For the past week, contractors have been working on one of the bedrooms. There has been loud noise, but I have been able to avoid it for the most part by staying in my bedroom.

However, this morning, I stepped out briefly, and at the same exact time, there were several extremely loud bangs coming from the bedroom. They were so loud! They were probably some of the loudest sounds I have heard in a long time. I was very close to it, and I could actually feel the vibration of the noise in my body. I am now experiencing one of the worst spikes I have ever had, and I am terrified that there is hearing damage and a permanent increase in tinnitus.

I had no hearing protection on at the time because I thought they had left briefly. I am experiencing some ear fullness, increased ringing, and clicking. I do have hyperacusis.

Has anyone else been exposed to something similar, and did the spike resolve? I'm extremely worried. I don't know the decibel level, but it was easily well over 100 dB.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear about the discomfort that you are feeling @SB93.

I see from your profile that you have had tinnitus since 2021. From the information that you have supplied, I suspect your tinnitus is noise-induced. Have you had your ears and auditory system examined at ENT? Have you had any treatment for your tinnitus and hyperacusis?

The reason I ask, is because noise-induced tinnitus with or without hyperacusis usually improves over time with or without treatment. This is a generalization because no two people are the same; it also depends on the initial severity of the tinnitus and hyperacusis at onset. If you can supply more information, it would be helpful.
      Do you spend most of your time in your bedroom? When you do go out do you always wear hearing protection? Are you able to work?

Please supply more information about any treatment you have had for your tinnitus and hyperacusis, and how you spend your day - whether you are able to work, study at school, etc.

Take care,
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. LukeYoung
      Cold

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      How are you going, did your spike calm down?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Thumbalina
      Frustrated

Thumbalina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud rock concert
      I’m curious too. @SB93, did your spike go down?