Figured It Out — Problem Isn't Tinnitus but OCD

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hastune, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hastune
      In pain

Hastune Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think I've figured out my problem is not actually tinnitus but OCD my brain has become obsessed with the ringing and anytime it stops it looks for it...

I mean I've come obsessed with Tinnitus and that is not a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      ALL have had OCD when tinnitus first came around. It's a natural thing so you are not alone. The key is, to not let this become a permanent thing. I have intrusive and beyond horrible tinnitus. No possible way to ignore this hell that screams out my head. I do not think about it, obsess over it.

I simply think of it as a friend. I don't fight with it, pull my hair out, scream at the top of my lungs and say WHYYYYYYYYY. I don't do this, sure I have had my moments (ALL OF US HAVE). The constant negativity, obsession will not make the tinnitus go away. It can just send us into a deeper spiral and I have been there too.

Tinnitus does not make life easy at all, we have to adopt a new set of rules. We need to STICK with these new rules and try to just MOVE ON and live our lives. Even with the new rules and changes, life can still be very beautiful. I have created many inspirational threads, you can read them and hopefully it can be helpful.....

Be blessed...

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You may want to consider staying away from the tinnitus forums. Maybe it's time to let it go and move on with your life. You are most welcome here, though.

Oh, and always remember to protect your ears from loud noise!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I agree....I have had tinnitus for years and when I was on certain medications, I tuned out my tinnitus most of the time and when I did notice it, it was very easy to stop thinking about it because it didn't bother me. Unfortunately, those medications came with mood destabilizing side effects for me so I have been trying to fight it different ways. I actually had about 3 months earlier this year where I totally wasn't bothered my tinnitus. In fact, some days I decided to put my masker on the whole day and I pretty much tuned it out. This proves that if my tinnitus gets worse, it's not the end of the world because I was "tuning out" loud maskers as weird as that sounds. It's hard to explain but I just paid attention to other things. Unfortunately bad side effects built up and I had to continue what I was doing.

The majority of the people who have tinnitus must have different types of brain chemistry where they just tune it out after a while because with most people tinnitus doesn't severely depress them or make them anxious.

5. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      I am still wondering more and more how much my obsessive-compulsive tendencies are contributing to my daily distress. It is very possible I might have had some extent of this noise before that I simply did not care about, yet for some reason my mind decided to snap into focusing on it.

Given how this has more or less taken control of my life over the last two and a half weeks, I don't think that's helping my case any. I tell myself every night that I am going to stop focusing on it, yet here I am.

• Hug Hug x 1