Frequent Reactive Tinnitus Spikes → Any Advice/Support?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kain, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Hello all. I really didn't want to make this post, but I have no-one else to turn to.

Recently, within the last month and a half, I have been having these spike episodes where, on top of the initial tinnitus increase, I experience fullness in my right ear and an increase of reactivity to sounds. Exposure to some sounds gives me a visceral reaction where it seems like my ear is tensing up to these said sounds. I think it may be my hyperacusis and TTTS flaring up in response to these spikes, but the fact that I have had these episodes probably around eight times within the month, does not give much hope for what my life will be like with tinnitus in the future.

To add a bit more information, I also have other problems that may influence my tinnitus overall. I have been diagnosed with ETD and I also have TMJ that can click in both ears, but it's mainly predominate in my right ear. I was told by a doctor that I could take Flonase to help with ETD, but after looking that up here, it seems that Flonase tends to spike others. I also have an extremely bad habit of clicking my jaw at will. I can hear my blood flowing (?) at times, mainly when I have earplugs in or when my head is at a certain angle, but only in my right ear. I know that there's too many factors to pinpoint exactly what's going on, but I felt like it was important to add these details for the overall picture.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what I'm expecting in this thread... Support, advice, maybe sharing a similar story in which it improved... But overall, just someone to talk to about this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hy Kain,

Sorry for your tinnitus and hyperacusis. It sucks!

I am still adjusting to the situation myself.

When you have a spike, does the tinnitus frequency get any higher? And do you use any medication?

Greets,
      W. :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes my tinnitus frequency will get louder when it spikes, and I do not take any over-the-counter medications, just supplements such as NAC, Curcumin, and Magnesium.

Hoping you are doing well today!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At the moment every sound hurts me. My ears feel clogged. When I use the Valsalva, it makes things worse and I hear my tinnitus louder for the whole day.

It's hard to start up work, school and being happy again.

Sounds familiar?

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have not had any problems doing the Valsalva, but it's not an uncommon thing to read on this site. I usually refrain from doing it based on others' experiences. Sorry that you're struggling at the moment, I'm praying that you find some relief soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Marcuso22

Marcuso22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud prolonged exposure to alarm system
      Lots of factors to consider which makes it more difficult to pinpoint what's happening. From what I've read one can develop TTTS from TMD, anticipatory fear of loud sounds & stress/anxiety.

Do you have pulsatile or somatic tinnitus? Have you checked Dr. Silverstein's website? He does surgery for hyperacusis but most of the cases are idiopathic. I had communicated with one patient Dr. Silverstein worked on. She didn't have tinnitus & her hyperacusis was so severe that she could even hear her eyes moving, as strange as that seems.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Stop doing the Valsalva if it’s making your tinnitus worse. You could also blow out your eardrum.

I recommend doing the Toynbee maneuver instead. It’s a more safer method to equalize pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do have pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear but it's not constant, something I can only hear when wearing earplugs at times or bending over. But bending over doesn't always set it off. My tinnitus is also somatic in both ears.

I have not heard of Dr. Silverstein. Not sure surgery is something I would want to do.

9. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How are you now, @Kain?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve been okay! Tinnitus is okay and I haven’t had any spikes *knock on wood*. Right now it’s just my hyperacusis, TTTS and reactivity that’s bothering me. My anxiety has been pretty bad lately so that’s also adding fuel to the fire, I’m sure.

How are you?

11. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I have a couple of ideas which might help.

In terms of TMJ, check with a good dentist to assess your bite and determine whether dental work or a dental guard might help.

Another route would be a highly trained craniosacral therapist who might be able to offer relief in terms of TMJ and even ETD. Here is the link to find a practitioner (many of them are also licensed physical therapists, but the training is far more extensive than basic physical therapy.)

The search engine results include the degree of training the therapist has had. For example, to use the following practitioner as an example, you can see his background is extensive (I have not seen this particular practitioner but he comes highly recommended by the person I do see.) See if you can speak to the therapist beforehand to explain your situation and determine whether a visit would be worth it.

Kenneth Frey P.T., CST-D, BI-D
      Certified Examiner: CranioSacral Therapy Diplomate
      Certified Examiner: CranioSacral Therapy Techniques
      Certified Examiner: Visceral Techniques Practitioner
      CranioSacral Certified Therapist
      Visceral Manipulation Certified Therapist
      Neural Manipulation Certified Therapist
      Barral Institute Diplomate Certified Therapist
      IAHE Teaching Assistant
      IAHE Certified Teaching Assistant
      IAHE Teacher

• Helpful Helpful x 1