Getting Through a Long Flight (Pain Management)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lex, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I haven't been active here because in spite of my pain, I'm getting on with my life. But in three weeks, I'll go on my first flight in two years, and it's a long flight (roughly eight hours). It's not for leisure, it's for work. I suppose I could have said no, but I really don't know anymore. I already lost a lot, and I'm afraid to lose my job. But now I'm thinking if I'm stupid for doing this, and if I'm bound to lose so much more because of it.

I'm both excited and afraid, but more afraid. What can I do if my facial pain flares up and get so bad while up in the air?

I have Howard Leight earplugs, Bose QC 35, and Peltor X5A so I know I'd be well-protected. I chose a seat at the front too, ahead of the engine. But I still wonder if I should pop a sleeping pill or a sedative to help me zone out. Or maybe I'll get a bit drunk before boarding. Or take Lyrica, which I still have because I stopped taking it due to the side effects.

What about regular pain pills? One way my hyperacusis pain manifests is through headaches. Will those respond to regular pain pills?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Thanks, but I've been through that thread and other flying-related threads here. Those threads are more concerned about decreasing sound exposure. But my issue is with pain management. I have the necessary ear protection, but I would like advice on how to manage a flareup of my H pain. It is a long flight after all, and I wouldn't know if my ear protection can hold up.

4. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Hi @Lex. I got on 3 different planes this past August, and my H did not spike one bit. I was afraid as well but I did just fine. Just try not to freak out and just relax and enjoy the flight.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I sure hope so! I still struggle with car rides because I get pain. The pain is tolerable, which is the only reason why I still get to go places. But I've avoided planes for two years! As my departure date is nearing, I grow more and more terrified.

6. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Lex im sure you’ll be good. Like I said, I was afraid that my T&H would spike but everything turned out fine.

7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I mean, if we had something to manage flare ups, wouldn't we already be using it? A person who has true hyperacusis (noxacusis) has this unholy baby union of chronic pain and tinnitus and what sucks about both of them. If you're stuck with pain you don't have a lot of options.

You already answer what will probably be your best answer: a sedative. They have little clinics at airports, if you're at a big enough one. I was once given a single dose benzo (xanax) at one because I was having heart palpitations before a flight. Or you could just ask your doctor for something.

Other than that you have...meditation. I suppose a cold pack for your face.

For pain medication, NSAIDs don't generally work on nerve pain. You can try, I suppose. In general even though chronic pain has treatments in various painkillers, a person is looking at a 30% chance maximum to even see an effect on these. And you probably won't see any difference if you're not on a long term dose since the medication has to build up in your bloodstream. Your lyrica isn't going to do you any good as a one time dose even though it seems you've responded to it in the past.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      At the back of my mind, I agree with you which is why I already have my affairs in order, especially financial, in case I'd feel the need to jump off the bridge when I get to my destination. I wish I could tell you I'm being flippant but I'm serious.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Despite the grim tone, this comes as a relief. It gets tiring to hear people on this website try to frame pain as being preferable to tinnitus.

You're worried about losing your job, are you American? You can fill out an Americans with Disabilities Application and your job would need to respect your limits as long as you meet the basic job requirements.

As much as CBT and meditation get dismissed, probably because they get built up to be holy grails when they are not, frame of mind can negatively impact pain. Positivity does not inversely make it better or even necessarily prevent flare ups, but lessens the impact.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I don't have intrusive T so I can't compare. But I think ear pain is worse than moderate T, which I also have.

Not an American. Not from a first would country so I really don't have much job protection.

I agree but it's hard to be positive when so many things can go horribly wrong for the littlest reasons.

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      What kind of plane? A380s are quiet. Boeing’s like the 777 are not pleasant. I had an 8 hour flight on both types about a year ago and the 777 was horrible (with double protection - earplanes and qc35s and foam earplugs and qc35s at various times) but I was not up front. A380 mostly just qc35s. Going on another one soon - never flying anything else ever again unless it’s as quiet.

Do you have earplanes for take off? The normal earplugs aren’t good for take off or landing.

Not sure about pain management though, I just try to endure it cold turkey in general thanks to most pain meds being ototoxic, but the pain related to H has never been unbearable.

12. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

I'm not following. Is the H pain not caused from sound exposure?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      @Johan_L Yes, my pain is from exposure to noise. But I am concerned about bone conduction. No matter how well I protect, sound waves still travel through my bones. Given that the flight is 8 hours long, I expect I'd get pain regardless. I just want to know how I can manage the pain because I can't just leave an airplane mid-flight.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It depends on the plane.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      It's an A350. Too bad no A380 is flying my route.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, that’s good too. The newer Airbus models are much better than the Boeing ones.

“At cruise altitude typical ambient noise level in the cabin of the Airbus A350 XWB is 57 decibels...”

Plus you’re up the front you said. Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lex How did it go?

Also, has anybody checked the noise level in the toilets on planes? Perhaps it's lower there?

18. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The flush... ugh... can’t stand it.

19. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was thinking of just taking a brakes there during the flight... Rather be there (if it is quieter) than have a setback while sitting in a comfy seat.

20. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would say it’s louder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I would go with the classic combination of earplugs + earmuffs until you are seated inside the plane and then take off the earplugs and use only earmuffs for take off and the whole flight. When you land, opposite thing: when the plane is taxiing to the parking, remove the earmuffs and put on earplugs plus earmuffs again on top.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Flights went well, whole trip (both work and vacation part) went well. I highly recommend noise-cancelling headphones over earmuffs. They're more effective and comfortable.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      For me it's the length of flight.
      The longer the flight, the more traumatic for me.
      I live far from my "home town".
      Pain, and lack of funds keeps me from visiting more often.

24. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on a flight wearing foam plugs. At one point my right ear popped (with the foam plugs); at that point my sound changed in my right ear...kind of like a fleeting tinnitus sound (flat, thin, tonal) and after some seconds it went back to original sound. Does this mean something that my sound changed with the pop?

25. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      Did you have issues with your ears popping during the flight? I’m going on an 8 hour plane ride in a few weeks and nervous about having issues with my ears equalizing to the pressure during take off and landing.

My ears feel clogged, but there’s no fluid in them. My doctor said not to worry, but I still am. The pressure everyday is very uncomfortable don’t know what it’ll be like on the plane.

26. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If your ETs work well, you should have no issues equalizing: just yawn or swallow frequently.

27. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I’m having issues with my ET’s I can’t really clear my ears unless I blow air through my nose pretty hard, but it goes right back to being clogged.

28. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think that method is going to work for the plane scenario.

29. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      What will be best to do for the plane ride?

30. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It depends on the problem you have with your ETs - have you asked your doc?