Has Anyone Ever Seen a TV Show, Read a Book etc, Where a Character Was Suffering from Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Not me. Also while I pray for habituation, if it was as easy as non T suffers believe,
      then why aren't more of us posting and celebrating?

2. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      It was listed as one of 50 symptoms in a patient at Dr. House once.

And Muhammad apparently had it when God spoke to him.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Dr. House always finds a cure, what was it?:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      "The Emmigrants" is a trilogy of books about Swedish immigrants going to America. One of the characters had tinnitus.

These books are some of my favorites. My father gave these to me, saying it must have been similar to our Norwegian ancestors who came to America in 1836. (By the time I was born, I'm what you call a "Heinz 57", only about 1/16th Norwegian!)

These books were made into two movies in the 1970's, starring Max Von Syndow and Liv Ulman (?). I loved the movies. The characters were living in Sweden during the 1800's. Times were really tough, and there weren't a lot of options for people living on farms.

One of the boys was working on a farm in Sweden. His boss kicked in the head, and from then on he heard a sound. Several families decided to make the voyage to America, which was quite dangerous. I seem to recall the tinnitus character went to California during the Gold Rush. R

Reading about the character with tinnitus made a real impression on me. When I got tinnitus, it was almost my only knowledge of tinnitus.

5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I think it was in Save Private Ryan (or another realistic war movie) that on of the soldiers during a massive bomb attack on his squad suddenly lost his ability to hear nothing but a loud high pitched constant T. Guess it was a case of mental trauma creating the onset of somatic T, perhaps in combo with the acoustic shock. Soldiers in battle zones are not unfamiliar with T.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks

8. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I do not recall seeing any movie or book where as the character was someone suffering from tinnitus. Tinnitus is just a too low profile disability to base a movie or book on the person having it. First you would have to have a foreword or something telling exactly what tinnitus was as most of the general public doesn't have a clue. Then the general reaction from the NON TINNITUS people would be "so what, you call that a disability".

No one really looks upon tinnitus as a disability..I do not know how the disability part of Social Security looks upon tinnitus suffers. Has anyone ever gotten disability from SS for tinnitus. I know the government does give veterans disability payments to Vets who can prove it is a result of military service. Even though it is the number 1 claim for vets the government only allows a 10 % disability rating. Which is the lowest disability rating where as a person is actually paid.

The people who say habituation to tinnitus is easy either do not have it or have it so mild that it is of no concern. Years ago I had tinnitus. It was mild at that time and I knew little about it. I was fully able to ignore it most of the time. Those were the good ole days.

9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Archer, The TV show on FxX --- Loud noise Exposure from guns going off next to his head...

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      So many times, the incidental music at the height of a stressful time, plays that shrill high tone. But it is always fleeting. If it wasn't, people would want to change channels :)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Yep, I had this one in mind as well. Although they used in in combination with the dark sinister/sarcastic humor. The show make me laugh...funny as hell!

12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I was watchin the walking dead and was laughing cause the only thing about that show that isnt real is that almost everyone in it should have T by now.. But they only ever showed temporary.

13. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      There is a new TV series that recently started called Manhatten on WGN America. One of the lead scientists in that show suffers from tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
    15. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Criminal Minds TV show. One of the main characters "Hoch" had tinnitus and Hyperacusis after an explosion.

16. Luke123497
      Wisdomatic

Luke123497 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I was playing Telltales the Walking Dead video game recently and the female protagonist (Clementine) shot her gun on a train and said ‘my ears feel fuzzy’ to which the main protagonist (Lee) replied ‘you’ll get used to it’… it strangely reassured me for some reason :)