Has Anyone Experienced Rapid Drumming with Eye Movement?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mumbojumbo, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Mumbojumbo

Mumbojumbo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone, first time on here so I hope you’re all well.

I've suffered with tinnitus for a good while now and have pretty much learnt to live it, as with most of you I have good and bad days/weeks, but the distant car alarm going off is always present. However things have very recently taken a turn for the worse for me and I'm not even sure it's tinnitus related, but it surely has to be.

Over the past 4 days I've developed a weird and unnerving sensation that whenever I look to the right, even just a fraction, I get a rapid succession of drumming in the left side of my head but I can also feel it around the back and above my eyes as well. Like someone zapping me with short rapid bursts of pressure and it’s almost like a muffled snare drum sound or someone throwing a snowball at my ear. It happens every time I look right whether my eyes are open or closed, looking left is fine. If I keep looking right the pulsing/drumming doesn’t stop and intensifies so much I get a light tingling down my arms. It doesn’t appear to be linked to head movement as I can focus on an object and roll my head around, so it’s literally just eye movement.

If there’s ambient noise like if I’m driving then I can’t hear the pulsing/drumming but I know it’s still there as after I while I start to feel nauseous and a little drained. Vision seems a bit jumpy but that might be me doing a little involuntary wince every time it happens.

If I sit still and look forward I feel perfectly fine apart from my normal tinnitus which has flared up with this, hence why I feel it is my tinnitus but on a whole new level!

Possible contributing factors, the night before this started I went to watch a band play and I was sat side on to them, so had to turn to watch them over my right shoulder! Possibly just coincidence or may have tweaked something in my neck maybe, who knows. The band wasn’t very loud at all but the room was quite small and its the first live music I’ve watched since coming out of lockdown.

Also for the past 3 months I’ve been on Propranolol 80mg MR for panic and anxiety. I know they mess with blood pressure which can play havoc with tinnitus but up until now I’ve been ok on them, but you never know.

Went to the doctors yesterday and he pretty much looked at me gone out as he’s never heard of anything like it. So basically monitor it over the next few days, if it gets worse or I go dizzy go to A&E. I had an MRI and hearing test a couple of years ago for my normal tinnitus and that came back fine, apart from having something called cookie bit hearing loss which he suggested I’ve had since I was a kid.

So I’m currently sat here trying my best to only focus on objects to my left, hoping that when I next wake up things will have settle, but so far no joy. Has anyone else experienced anything like this please? is it a new permanent feature I need to learn to deal with or will it settle like my normal tinnitus.

All the best.

• Hug Hug x 1