Has Your Tinnitus Ever Stopped?

Mario martz

Author
Feb 12, 2016
Tinnitus Since
02/2016
Hey guys just checking how normal is what have happend to me this day.
my tinnitus has switched ears, and have stopped for a few good minutes
(even covering my ears, noo "eeeeeeee" sound)
also just wondering... if my left ear is damage, why would the sound switch?
doesnt make any sense to me.
its like if i have a broken arm, why would the "pain" switch to my normal non broken arm?

Idk but you can imagine how surprised I was when it started in my deaf ear!

I can only guess that what started out as an ear problem is now also a problem with my brain.

No, mine has not. :(

To answer your question. That is probably because it is more of a neurological problem for you than an ear problem. (it can be both)

My acoustic trauma hit my left ear the hardest, and the left side is where the baseline tone that never goes away is the worst. That side also has more ultra high frequency hearing loss, but since my acoustic trauma, my right ear has had more fleeting tinnitus and other tones that have come and gone (just not as loud as my baseline tone). This is weird to me since I never remember having fleeting tinnitus before my acoustic trauma. My whole auditory system from the cochlea to the cortex is out of whack.

@Jkph75 suddenly getting tinnitus in your left ear is weird. How long were you deaf in that ear? Does it feel like 'ear tinnitus' or tinnitus on the left side of your head?

its like if i have a broken arm, why would the "pain" switch to my normal non broken arm?

That's T just f...king with you. I've had hours of near silence, then bam It's back and doing it's evil thing. It's a diabolical trickster, always inventing new forms of mental torture. I mean, what else does it have to do, all day and night?

My T has never switched ears, and I really pray and hope that it doesn't. It has stopped, or gone silent quite a number of times. I too have no explanation for it. All I can say is that I am really thankful that it goes away, even if for only a while.

@Jkph75 suddenly getting tinnitus in your left ear is weird. How long were you deaf in that ear? Does it feel like 'ear tinnitus' or tinnitus on the left side of your head?[/QUOTE]

I have been deaf in that ear since birth. I only get the ultra high fizz pitch in that one, but I get it sometimes when that pitch is not in my hearing ear. It just started now in my deaf ear as I am writing this. It must be neurological.

That's T just f...king with you. I've had hours of near silence, then bam It's back and doing it's evil thing. It's a diabolical trickster, always inventing new forms of mental torture. I mean, what else does it have to do, all day and night?

I so agree. I was talking about it tonight and my husband said I was making it sound like it was a being with a mind of its own. I almost think it might be.

I had near silence again this morning. I didn't want to move out from bed (didn't even move my hand and legs lol), but I need to eat my prednisolone in the morning.

Interestingly, this morning I was wakened by a high hiss/whine in one ear and while in the netherworld of half-sleep, I sent a "lower the volume" message to the sound and it did, over several seconds, get lower and lower to a just audible level (after which I couldn't quite mentally get it to switch "off" <<-- though you know I tried!!!).

I have had this happen a few times, and I think what happens is that the parts of my brain which are still there (last time I checked :) ) and "remember" the state of "tinnitus-free," are being mentally activated when I engage this "lowering the volume/dialing down" process.

I also try to "hear silence" - as in, trying to hear what the former silent/calm ears state felt/sounded like.

I believe this is possible since those regions of the brain/neural circuitry must still have a sense memory of the previous normal state. But the regions that now "remember" tinnitus are also active and firing away, and so, I haven't (yet) achieved this for very long.

Anyway, just an interesting tidbit from this morning. It's something I try at times, but it only works when I'm relaxed, woozy (sleepy) and half-focusing. I'm going to start to meditate more regularly soon. I may incorporate the "relaxed state of dialing down" into some of the meditation.

Yup mine has come and gone in my right ear and goes up and down in my left , it get loud very fast in my right once and a while , and some days it is very quiet in my gone in my right , got to agree with sailboard man

So...
right now i was very focused on my job, and i was like...Where is that hissing, why cant i hear it?
i cover my ears and there was nothing :O
just a little beeep in my "good" ear
after that... it was gone for a few seconds.. i felt so relief
then i started to hear my regular humm... sometimes i wonder if we just maybe cant "let it go"
cause we tune it ???

But it was a relief to hear silence again.
right now the hissing and pitch is back, and can totally tell the diference.
but that what givesme hope that some day in the near future theres a cure.

i havent seen a person with MS (in a wheelchair) getting up and walk for a few seconds...

Actually, MS as a disease process is characterized by exacerbations (worsenings) and remissions (improvement again, or leveling off). Some MS progresses to full-blown, and some remains on the milder end for life. And some is in the middle.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and wondering if SOME tinnitus is actually caused by a form of so-called autoimmunity/inflammatory process which cycles like this. It would explain why it can appear, lessen, re-appear, etc.

And MAYBE it can explain why it is influenced by other inflammatory processes in the body, a whole host of all these individual idiosyncrasies we experience, etc.

COULD some lingering inflammation of the auditory nerve itself be responsible for generating some of the somatic tinnitus as well as the brain-based stuff? I imagine that ANY nerve can become inflamed. If it's a peripheral nerve, you can get pain, numbness, tingling, etc. If it's a central nervous system nerve, the symptoms would be related to the function of the nerve - i.e., optic nerve causes visual disturbances, acoustic nerve causes ... acoustics!

And again, this raises the question that I cannot let go of, regarding the fact that I feel my right auditory nerve is "charged, primed, INFLAMED<<--" ...

Because when I walk and hear that zing-zing-zing with every footstep, I really feel like the physical shock force of walking is plucking the guitar string that my auditory nerve, in an inflamed state, has become.

@Cityjohn , I am no research scientist, but I have a background in physiology and the sciences and I'm a good intuitive thinker. What are YOUR thoughts on this? :)

Never. Not for a single second. I just have the "EEEEEEEEE" sound and pain in my left ear, and a fluctuating "AWWW-ee-aaaawww-AWW-eeeEE-AWWW" in my right. I can change both sounds by biting, moving my head in any direction, exercising, sneezing, doing the Valsalva maneuver, or drinking - but I can never stop them.

Never had mine stop. Only time it stops is when I am asleep. Even once in a while I can hear my T when I am asleep dreaming. What next? Am I going to hear animals talking? Haha

Never. Not for a single second. I just have the "EEEEEEEEE" sound and pain in my left ear, and a fluctuating "AWWW-ee-aaaawww-AWW-eeeEE-AWWW" in my right. I can change both sounds by biting, moving my head in any direction, exercising, sneezing, doing the Valsalva maneuver, or drinking - but I can never stop them.
Drinking? :O
you mean the action of drink and swallow
or alcohol makes its easier?

Actually, MS as a disease process is characterized by exacerbations (worsenings) and remissions (improvement again, or leveling off). Some MS progresses to full-blown, and some remains on the milder end for life. And some is in the middle.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and wondering if SOME tinnitus is actually caused by a form of so-called autoimmunity/inflammatory process which cycles like this. It would explain why it can appear, lessen, re-appear, etc.

And MAYBE it can explain why it is influenced by other inflammatory processes in the body, a whole host of all these individual idiosyncrasies we experience, etc.

COULD some lingering inflammation of the auditory nerve itself be responsible for generating some of the somatic tinnitus as well as the brain-based stuff? I imagine that ANY nerve can become inflamed. If it's a peripheral nerve, you can get pain, numbness, tingling, etc. If it's a central nervous system nerve, the symptoms would be related to the function of the nerve - i.e., optic nerve causes visual disturbances, acoustic nerve causes ... acoustics!

And again, this raises the question that I cannot let go of, regarding the fact that I feel my right auditory nerve is "charged, primed, INFLAMED<<--" ...

Because when I walk and hear that zing-zing-zing with every footstep, I really feel like the physical shock force of walking is plucking the guitar string that my auditory nerve, in an inflamed state, has become.

@Cityjohn , I am no research scientist, but I have a background in physiology and the sciences and I'm a good intuitive thinker. What are YOUR thoughts on this? :)

I don't know anything about how the zing-zing comes about when walking, but CNS inflammations can apparently last from anywhere between 11 months to 17 years. I definitely had a brain and brainstem inflammation, it was so severe that my head felt like it was on fire for months, I could even feel it in the back of my throat. Nearly six months later my massive headache is still so severe I can't even think straight.
The problem I'm having with inflammations is the exact physiological definition of it, what exactly would happen in neuronal tissues when it is inflammed?

Yeap, I've had some of those momentary tinnitus ear switchers when it stops for a second while it jumps from left to right.

Also, recently on Flupirtine. After 300mg, this one only time, it completely stopped.
Like going back in time. It lasted for a couple of hours ... but it was not that pleasant as I was certain it would creep back in. Which it did.

The problem I'm having with inflammations is the exact physiological definition of it, what exactly would happen in neuronal tissues when it is inflammed?

@Cityjohn I'm going to dig around a bit and see if I can come up with more info regarding this question! I'm entering an intense work period for the next several days, but I'll return to this and post again. I have a virtual post-it note to remind me to do so - attached to my right ear. It says, "Zing, zing, zing ... " :) :) :) :mad:

Back to silence?
Hey guys a quick update, something weird happend this morning.
i woke up and my tinnitus changed. it became a very intermittent hissing (sounds like the light sabers of starwars) very faint, i covers my ears and the constant "eeeeee" was/is gone thats whats more shocking to me, i even put my head againt the pillow and, nothing the "eeeee" was gone.
for almost an hour very gone, i didnt even want to move.

right now i think it could be back but very very faint.
the intermittent light sabers are still sounding.
it feels incredible to listen to silence again with my ears coverd, the intermittent hissing isnt very bothering i could live with it.

five months in, pretty weird, has anyone had this before?
the "eeeeeee" stopping
or a intermitent hissing?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now