Hearing Loss/Worsened Tinnitus from Bench Slamming Shut: I Need Support!

Discussion in 'Support' started by SaraK18, Sep 3, 2020.

1. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Hey Everyone,

I am brand new to Tinnitus Talk. I have read some posts and found support over the last couple of days. I was exposed to a loud sound Friday night, a bench slamming shut. Since then I’ve had increased bilateral ringing and I felt a bit nauseous and slightly off-balance.

I went to the ear doctor today and he gave me a full work up. He said I have slight hearing loss around 4000 Hz due to the noise exposure. He said all my symptoms are caused from that and it should heal on its own in time. He was hesitant to give me steroids because of the current pandemic. I’m fine with that because I’d rather not take steroids anyway. He recommended low salt diet for now to act as a diuretic.

I’m feeling a bit shocked and devastated. I know he said it will probably go away, but I have fear that it won’t and in the meantime the sound/feeling is unsettling. Just looking for some support on here. Has anyone experienced something similar?

It wasn’t the first time I was exposed to this bench slamming shut at my boyfriend's house, but it’s definitely the last as he is putting foam pads on it now. (He kept forgetting to close it quietly... I wish I could turn back the clock and not been exposed to this but I didn’t realize it would cause this issue).

I’ve had low level tinnitus for years but nothing like this.

I’m very open to natural supplements so if anyone has suggestions please send them my way.

Thanks,
      Sara

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Definitely try taking Ginkgo Biloba, Omega 3, NAC, and Magnesium (my favorite is Magnesium L-Threonate as it’s higher absorption). Hopefully these will work for you. If you need to ship them and you’re in the United States, Vitacost ships stuff very fast. I usually get my shipments the full second day, the latest, after ordering.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I agree with your doctor. Not sure if he told you anything else or just no salt. You should avoid coffee, too. Also, for the next six weeks keep your head elevated all the time (sleep on two pillows) and don't bend over at all, and no straining of any kind. No high-speed elevators or trains, no going up and down the mountains. Try not to sneeze if you don't really have to, but if it's already there do not try to stop it forcefully, sneeze loudly. Also burping, if you have to, do it loudly, don't suppress it. Try not to put any implosive or explosive pressure on your membranes for the next six weeks. And you can drink dandelion root tea (mild natural diuretic) three times a day.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Thanks Kendra! I’m trying everything natural I can get my hands on.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Thanks Backpacker. He didn’t tell me any of those things but intuitively I’ve been feeling like rest is what my body needs so thank you for your suggestions. Coffee has been making me feel bad the last day or two so I will be stopping that as well.

I noticed he put on my diagnosis chart sensorineural hearing loss.
      Isn’t that the type that’s not reversible? I’m a bit confused.

6. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      SNHL is usually permanent. But your tinnitus and other symptoms may go away with time or at least ease up. Keep an eye on it and if you notice any of your symptoms getting worse I’d call and go back in.

I'd also avoid chocolate.

7. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss? One ear or both? I don't know if it's reversible, depends, some people have some improvement some not.

That's not what I was aming at directly.

I was thinking about the possible damage of the inner ear membrane(s) which caused sudden sensorineural hearing loss and which is causing balance issues and nausea for now. The membranes should be under no pressure for some time. No implosive pressure: no loud noise, high- speed trains/elevators, flying, diving, mountains, no explosive pressure: no straining of any kind, not even opening jars that are difficult to open, and no bending over because the moment you put your head lower that your heart level your CSF rushes to the head and pressures inner ear from inside. Also, coffee increases the production of CSF. The point is you should avoid activities/movements/substances which increase intracranial pressure, for at least six weeks. Diuretics lower intracranial pressure and that's why I think it would be good to drink dandelion root tea three times a day. Also, do not drink with a straw, the membranes should not be under any kind of pressure for six weeks.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Sensorineural hearing loss can be caused by noise damage and it is not reversible after a while. Now your hearing is just unsettled and upset. In about 8 - 12 weeks maximum you will see how your hearing settles, and whatever hearing quality you have after that period is usually there to stay. So if you lose hearing or not, you will know in around 2 months time.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Thanks everyone.

The hearing loss is mild and I don’t notice it, it’s just the ringing that bothers me. He didn’t say sudden, he actually didn’t even say sensorineural hearing loss to me. But I saw it on the diagnosis sheet. I googled it, saw the words permanent and that’s when I really started crying. Maybe I should call him to clarify. I’m so depressed right now, I feel like I can’t even do anything. I had something similar happen 2 years ago from a door slam, but it recovered fully in about a month. No nausea though. Just loud ringing.

The doctor seemed to think it was going to recover. I can’t believe this happened from the bench slamming shut. Everyone else’s ears are fine except mine.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      I just spoke with the doctor and he said I have a temporary threshold shift that he thinks is going to improve. Idk if that’s different from sensorineural hearing loss but it sounded like it.

11. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      It's not like you can't do anything, you just can't do anything now. Next month if you don't have balance issues and/or nausea you may slowly resume the usual activities (if you feel they don't hurt you) but not right now, now is the best time to relax and do nothing. And try not to cry because crying/sobbing/hyperventilating is not good for head pressure either. Just relax and focus on recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      I meant I’m so depressed I’m unmotivated. I will refrain from whatever is necessary to help my hearing heal. Thank you so much for the tips. I would not have known otherwise!

And I did cry all day yesterday... I will chill on that too!

• Hug Hug x 4