• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Heavy Weight Lifting — An Unusual Treatment for My Tinnitus!

Kimmy G

Author
Sep 13, 2018
Tinnitus Since
05/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Hearing Loss, Immunization
I developed tinnitus about two and a half years ago. I had the Twinrix vaccine for Hep A and B and it started shortly after that.

My hearing was tested and my left ear has hearing loss. My tinnitus doesn't stop except for very brief moments - it's the worst in the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep.

I have done fitness classes for years but started personal training about ten months ago. When we started lifting heavier weights I noticed I was sleeping through the night!

Maybe my muscles are so tired that it overrides the constant buzzing?!! My trainer is a black belt and he is amazing and super encouraging!!

Lifting heavier weights with him is the only thing that has worked. I have tried everything - pills, ear drops, white noise, etc.

Nothing works to stop the tinnitus. Just getting a sleep or two a week has helped me a lot. When I wasn't getting sleep I felt shaky and upset- now I feel better.

It doesn't cure the tinnitus but it gives you a little sanity.

If you want to try a workout on your own with some weights just make sure you lift them properly (or get some guidance in setting up a good weight workout)

Kimmy G - Toronto, Canada

Thanks for posting this! I noticed when I go mountain biking/cycling it gives it helps immensely. The only thing that makes me feel like I have a little control over this.

I'm an avid weightlifter myself but you wouldn't necessarily notice by looking at me. It makes my tinnitus spike immediately following my workouts but it usually normalizes after a couple of hours. I agree that working out to the point of exhaustion definitely helps me fall asleep. Once I overdid it though, and then I had muscle spasms that kept me awake.

Something about lifting heavy weights makes me sleepy, and I know other weightlifters who experience the same effect.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now