Hello from a Classical Musician

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Patty Mitchell, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Patty Mitchell

Patty Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Hi there!

In April 2009 I had severe vertigo and after recovering from the day of misery I found I had hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear. My otologist believes that it all began due to a migraine. Who knew migraines could cause hearing loss?! I sure didn't.

For the most part I cope okay. Sometimes I have severe pain of the tragus, and I know then that I'll be getting a migraine, the tinnitus will get horrendously loud, and sounds will be painful for a time.

It's distressing, but at this point hasn't caused me to have to retire from my symphony or opera. (I wear musicians' earplugs when necessary.) I am, in fact, most comfortable sitting in the middle of an orchestra, when the tinnitus isn't as obvious. Still, I'd certainly love to find a solution to this problem that was affordable. (I've read about various treatments, but I haven't a clue how to go about finding someone to help me nor could I afford anything expensive.)

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in here and see what others have to say. Thanks for listening ... even with all of our ears ringing and singing. (Sigh.)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      That's great you've kept playing music. Truly inspiring.(y)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patty Mitchell

Patty Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Thanks, LillianLexicon97. I'm really grateful that I'm able to continue with this career. I've been at it since 1975! (I play oboe and English horn, in case anyone is interested.)

• Like Like x 3
    4. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      Hi Patty, I'm so glad you are able to continue on with your music. It was a passion of mine but unfortunately due to the T I've had to recently give it up. Props to you!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Carroc
      Gloomy

Carroc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified tinnitus
      It does help if you can stay busy in spite of this mental anguish.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patty Mitchell

Patty Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      It's my career, so if I couldn't I'd really be in deep trouble! I'm sorry, though, that you had to give it up. I can't imagine life without symphony, opera and the occasional musical theater job, along with the freelancing and teaching.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patty Mitchell

Patty Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Indeed it does!
      I must admit, too, that I have learned to "deal", except when it is screaming at me, which does happen.

8. Carroc
      Gloomy

Carroc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified tinnitus
      Not much rhyme or reason why it decides to ramp up in volume especially when you can be at home in a quiet environment.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patty Mitchell

Patty Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Mine seems to be connected to migraines: first the tragus hurts, then I get the screaming ear, and eventually my eyes blur. Of course I get the migraine headache as well.
      Such is life. I'm happy to be alive!

10. Carroc
      Gloomy

Carroc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified tinnitus
      Is your T 24/7 just varying in loudness

11. monalysah

monalysah Member

Hi Patty
      Was your severe vertigo in connection with Menieres Disease? Correct me if I am wrong, you are presented with a unilateral hearing loss (in the left ear only?)

You are doing the right method by "coping" this process is known as "habituation" in short it means that your brain has the ability to ignore stimulus, such as your tinnitus, over a period of time and that it gradually plays a less important role in your lives.

Unfortunately there is no cure for Tinnitus, but key is to find the best strategies that can be effective in helping you to control and gain the quality of life rather than focusing on the distressing sound.

Happy to provide some awareness, I work in the Audiology department.

• Like Like x 1
    12. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      i am musician also/saxophone player. and teaching music. after holiday i just have a two days lessons with earplugs. but sounds seems spike my tinnitus for two days after first day. so it is just a spike or it aggregating my tinnitus ? i got tinnitus 4 month ago. from flue or from loud sound. mostly high pitched sound

13. Brian Reade
      Cheerful

Brian Reade Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after chiropractic neck adjustment
      Oh I love the Oboe, and English Horn! Welcome to the forum. Keep playing. I play keyboards and brass but not professionally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      I admire people that can play classical and read music. It seems difficult. I try as a hobby, just an effort at times. Don't give it up. When I focus on sounds or a song, I want my attention - not on my tinnitus, rather execution of the instrument. I might say that about any activity.

Anyway, if your feeling down, don't forget the things you love in life, the things that you find simple enjoyment in. Spend some low stress time on that for yourself. Time will help, despite how crazy it seems. See the doctor if you have sleeping issues.