Hi I Am New to Tinnitus and Have Some Questions. Thank You for Any Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Loria B, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Loria B

Loria B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/20/2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      I went to the dentist to remove an old bridge which was cracked. Once it was removed it was discovered one of the supporting teeth of the bridge was no longer viable and would have to be removed. The other supporting tooth was fine but was fitted for a new crown. Only real choice was to have 2 implants done since bridge no longer an option. The implants will be done later in the year after healing. That day I was in the dental chair for 3 hours. Granted, I was not being drilled on that entire time. But the bridge removal was long and hard. The removal of the molar was horrible. Lots of breaking/cracking sounds. Lastly, the new crown was put on.
      Five days later I wake up with a loud roaring in my ears which later seemed to settle in my L ear. Opposite side of the dental work. Also noises actually hurt. Like normal dishes being used at dinner or cleaning them-every bang turns into a wince for me. Loud talking seems to amplify it as well.

I normally wear a Snore-Guard in my mouth every night but have not worn it since the dental work. Before the Snore-Guard I wore a mouth appliance for grinding. So I have always worn something all night. Of course now it no longer fits so can't wear. No point in making a new one until all implants are in and that will be a slow process due to my finances.

My question is could the T be caused by me grinding at night without an appliance to protect teeth? Some days it is softer sound but I notice when I leave my house and return from the world of noise which seems to be everywhere a person needs to go-the noise has amplified or volume has increased. This make me wonder if it has to do with grinding at all?

Another thing I have noticed is extreme fatigue. After the first few days after the dental I thought my daily fatigue would go away on it's own. It hasn't at all. I am lucky I work at a school and we are out for summer here because I have to rest every single day. Especially after any kind of chore or outing. That is not like me at all. I had planned to work at other jobs and that just hasn't happened with this going on. Anyone else have a strange fatigue with their T?
      Thanks to all for listening to my story. Any thoughts, ideas are welcome and appreciated very much.
      Loria

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Loria,
      I just had dental work done and could not wear my mouth guard but I had 4 teeth on a partial denture and now my bite is better than before .
      Hope after your treatment you find your bite better.
      Grinding teeth can cause tinnitus .
      You might have a spike from your treatment with having your mouth open for a while and inflamed your jaw but will settle after a few days.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Possibly, the fact that it's fluctuating early on seems like a good thing. Do you have sleep apnea by any chance?

Although it may not be noise induced, it would be a good idea to protect your hearing around loud places.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Fatigue may be caused by the trauma and stress of T. Anxiety is an energy zapper. You need to address the mental side of your T suffering to see if you can reduce the stress and anxiety level. Then perhaps the fatigue issue will take care of itself.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Loria B

Loria B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/20/2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Thank you for all the replies. I am starting to wear earplugs everywhere I go and wear sound canceling headphones when I am at home doing noisy work-dishes, vacuum, blender, etc.

Yes I do have sleep apnea which is addressed using a mouth guard at night but I can't use it now due to dental work.
      Its possible the dentist can modify my snore guard to fit me temporarily. So looking into that.

I do have anxiety about this whole thing that is definite. I need to work on that. It helps to know I am not alone in this-so I am very very thankful for all your input! Thank you, Loria

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I agree with @billie48. "Fatigue may be caused by the trauma and stress of T. Anxiety is an energy zapper." This was certainly the case for me with the onset of T.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Untreated sleep apnea plus anxiety and stress will definely zap the juice of energy from the victim. I know it because I have sleep apnea and was a victim of anxiety and panic disorder for decades prior to T. You will feel exhausted and have no interest to doing anything much while drifting, 'sleep walking' through the day, lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Loria B

Loria B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/20/2106
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Yes, Billie, that is exactly how the last 20 or so days have been since I have not been able to wear the Snore-Guard.
      So that makes sense with the fatigue-since the sleap apnea is not corrected until the device is either modified or made over again which won't be until both my implants are in -maybe next year sometime. Also I am sure I am grinding which can only be making the T worse.

The anxiety is from many things including the T. It seems to get worse with age with me. I lost my mom last year and of course don't feel I will ever recover from that. Also I have meant to use this summer to find another job since the one I have now is too stressful to return to in the fall and I have no interest in pursuing anything- too tired stressed but I need to desperately need the income.

More dental work in 5 days. I want to run and hide at this point.

• Hug Hug x 1