Home Office Approval Because of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by KellyKei, Aug 22, 2022.

1. KellyKei

KellyKei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello, if anyone has been in the same situation or has any ideas, please help me. :cry:

My situation:
      Recently everything has been a mess. My tinnitus worsened (returned in one ear) because of two acoustic traumas (around 120 dB each) in one week. I’ve recently been in the hospital for corticosteroids + vasodilatory infusions, because they helped me in the past (made my tinnitus almost unnoticeable in one ear and changed tone in the other to more pleasant). The very hard work I did to make my tinnitus better is now gone (I paid expensive treatments from my high school job) and I have to go through everything again.

Why home office:
      I’m studying 3 hours away from my home and this semester I also have to attend internship there for 3 days/week (8 hours/day), living there for family reasons is not possible, so I will have to somehow stuff all my mandatory subjects into 2 days in a week (which is going to be crazy, very difficult field of study) and travel 5 days/week.

When I was travelling last semester (around 3 days/week and it was horrible), my ears were worsened after every ride (with earmuffs on) because my car is super noisy and my psychological health was suffering (family problems and tinnitus combined).

I would like to work (internship) from home office, my work has no problem with that, because of COVID-19 almost everyone works from home office and I’m spending 8 hours in the office for no reason -> I can do the same work at home (it's work on computer) and all meetings are on Zoom. Only problem is that my school accepts home office only in case of justified health problems. Because of my family situation, it would also be a huge help if I was able to be home more.

Now my ears will have to heal again, because the tinnitus is back as intensive as it was 3 years back and a total 6 hours of travelling every day will just destroy me and my ears.

Question:
      Do you have any idea how to justify tinnitus as a reason for internship on home office? :cry:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Stew
      Confused

Stew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I would suggest discussing it with someone in charge. Get an ENT note and go for it.

3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this.

Get a note from a physician. That should help.

4. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Also consider getting a note for accompanying conditions, like generalized anxiety and/or depression.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I was allowed to work 2 days out of 5 at home, on the basis that the office is in a noisy part of the city plus I could control my own work environment at home. I may have had a doctor's letter too.

Now since lockdown we're all working at home with my employer so I would have thought it should be easier to make the case for working full time at home.