How Do You Handle Static-Hiss Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kingsfan, Aug 14, 2023.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Basically the title says it all, but I'll expand...

Backstory:

When my tinnitus became noticeable in non-silent environments back in 2020, it was a mild hiss that bothered me all day while working, but not outside or anywhere with decent ambient sound. It was mild enough that my refrigerator's hum would mask it.

It quickly increased to where I could hear it outside and the refrigerator no longer masked it. I still managed to quickly begin habituating to it in a few short weeks.

Not too long after, I experienced an acoustic trauma from an Acoustic Reflex test, as you all have probably heard me groan about a million times. I was then bombarded with a couple pure tones and static in my left ear and louder static in my right. After a year or so I managed to get to place where they didn't really bother me, except while wearing earplugs, but I managed pretty well.

The important stuff:

After a bout of drinking of drinking alcohol too much, a COVID-19 infection, a vacuum cleaner as well as an ambulance incident, I began regularly having spikes in which my mild hissing would become increasingly loud, usually in my left ear, but sometimes in my whole head. These spikes last anywhere from a couple days to a few weeks, and it seems nearly anything sets them off: certain sounds, medications, not getting enough sleep.

Sometimes the hissing will pulsate with along with my heartbeat and sometimes it morphs into almost an ultra-high pitch ring. Other times it changes all kinds of pitches like a car alarm or electricity.

When I get these spikes, it feels like a fog overtakes my mind and I cannot focus or function, even if the spike isn't too terribly loud. The nature and frequency of the sound makes it stand out over everything. My other tinnitus tones never gave me this foggy feeling. It's the most difficult symptom I've had yet with tinnitus.

Question:

I believe others on this forum have similar tinnitus and I just want to know how you handle it, and if it's possible to overcome this brain fog and habituate, even if it is never constant. I'd like to get to a place where I don't care whether it's there or not, as all my attempts to avoid it spiking seem to fail.

• Hug Hug x 9
    2. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      This comment probably won't be useful but since we've been coexisting with this shit since 2020, I thought the least I can do is commiserate. I've been getting a lot of this brain fog as well. Especially now in 2023. Sometimes I wonder if it's my brain just being worn out after all this time. I've even had to pull the car to the side of the road a couple times when it got bad while driving. And then I just breathe through it until I feel I can continue on.

Sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment with these damn spikes. Hopefully some veterans here have a good answer to your question.

Peace for now!

• Hug Hug x 4
    3. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      Gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. My tinnitus and hyperacusis are not exactly the same type as what you describe, but I have had terrible, debilitating brain fog as a result of it. My memory was so bad I actually thought I was suffering from early dementia, and I asked my primary doctor to give me a MOCA test to rule that out.

For some reason, my brain fog has almost entirely cleared up in the last month or two. I'm not sure why. It could be the fact that I started taking Cymbalta in early July. But I was also experimenting with Lion's Mane mushroom powder and Rhodiola extract for several months prior to that. Rhodiola enhances energy, mood and alertness, and Lion's Mane mushroom powder helps with neuroplasticity and brain healing. It's hard to know whether these supplements actually helped me or if there was simply a placebo effect at work, but it's something to consider trying if you haven't already done so. I continue to take both supplements on a near daily basis and I have not had any side effects.

Also, when was the last time you had any blood work done to check for low levels of crucial vitamins and minerals? That could be another cause of brain fog, and while it's not directly related to tinnitus and hyperacusis, it certainly couldn't hurt to make up for any deficiencies if the lab results show any.

I wish I had more ideas to offer, but hopefully other people with similar experiences can contribute some that will be of use to you. I wouldn't wish ear-related brain fog on my worst enemy, or tinnitus and hyperacusis for that matter.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. WCJohn
      Vegged out

WCJohn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clonazepam, Trazodone
      Hi @kingsfan.

Sounds like you have the same sort of sounds I have had for about the last 7 months. I had a bunch of other problems stemming from quitting medication along with the tinnitus, so I can't really say if it gave me brain fog, or just came with it. In any case, I don't really have any brain fog any more, although the tinnitus hinders my ability to really focus on anything,

In my case, I have sort of gotten used to it just from hearing it for so long and accepting that it will be there for as long as it will be there. Regular sleep is probably the best thing helps me cope. I also try not to worry about fluctuations or possible triggers and try to live my life as normally as possible. It is still intrusive though, and can't really be masked by many sounds. So I guess it sucks, and it is what it is. Doesn't stop me from laughing though, which I think is really important.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There was nothing that I could do to protect my ears from random acoustic trauma and once the brain fog became permanent, I had to retire from my job as I could no longer focus; this was six years ago.

After going through the five stages of grief, I've accepted my tinnitus as a part of my condition. I hope you can habituate once more.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      My static electricity with pulsing came on two weeks into regular (bar tones, cycling tones, pipe/whistle sounds) tinnitus. It has always been the worst tinnitus "set" and not for a moment, ever, lowered in volume. Yet, after about 6 months I was habituated to all of the tinnitus and slept without issues.

Then it worsened. It got horrifically loud and makes ear protection torture. It is unmask-able and has a pulse that shoots through the static. The pulse does not match my heartbeat. Maybe it is blood flow but its so electric and has high pitched squeals - who knows. There was also sound in it that would also pulse in my ears with eye movement (GET - Gaze Evoked Tinnitus). I began doing eye exercises to strain the points that triggered the noise (like a pulse of sand shifting in my ears) and at least that one has gone down to nearly zero reactivity.

I have found no way to mask or live well with the high static and pulsing. It is maddening and I would take another 5 regular tinnitus tones over this nightmare. I have no idea how to habituate this time. It is too loud and is truly in my ears. It is hard to explain. The tones are there too but they are like in the next room while my head is stuck with the TV static blaring directly into my eardrums. All my sounds are in ear, not head.

I never updated on here because it's too awful to share. Why bum you all out? But I figured I should share the symptoms in case someone else has them too.

Sending love to you all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      COVID-19 followed by that Acoustic Reflex test back in October 2022 made my tinnitus more reactive and much louder overall. I'm still working on trying to habituate. You have my empathy.

8. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      @kingsfan, it’s been a while. I haven’t been on here in months. I’m sorry to hear you’re still struggling.

I’m not doing so fabulous either. I was doing really well after the concert incident in September.

And yesterday I went to a graduation party that was outside. It wasn’t a particularly large gathering. While there I said to myself I really should put my earplugs in but I had another glass of wine and didn’t. About midnight last night I noticed a spike with a high-pitched static sound. Both ears. It’s so annoying because it’s very difficult to mask. I’m absolutely kicking myself because I’m usually so vigilant about putting my earplugs in. But sometimes it’s just a bummer to wear them because your voice sounds deeper and echoey and I just should’ve done it. The kicker is I was only at the party for about two hours. And it literally wasn’t that bad. At one point I put my sound meter on to see the decibels and they were running mostly in the 70s with some 80s. Nothing that would cause hearing loss. But I should know that noise makes tinnitus worse regardless of whether it’s going to harm your hearing.

I can’t really tell you how to cope because I’m just at the beginning of the spike and hoping it doesn’t last long.

I have to go to a christening tomorrow which I knew I’d be wearing my earplugs for and now I have to listen to this high pitch hiss while I have them in. Not looking forward to that.

Sorry. This is just such a crappy condition. And I have other medical issues as well so it just feels like they each take turns trying to ruin my life.

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It sounds almost the same as mine. I can mask it a bit with a white noise masker in my ear, but not always.

Once a week I take (a treat for myself) Clonazepam 0.5 mg. It takes my tinnitus perception away for almost a whole day (8 hours).

I take this time to relax and do some homework.

Greets,
      W

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I keep meaning to reply to everyone, but I keep getting overwhelmed. This is why I usually just hang out in the profile status updates.

11. BobbieJay-1954
      Sleepy

BobbieJay-1954 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Meds
      I also have had the hissing type of tinnitus for the past 2.5 - 3 years, alongside a mild eee-ringing and low tone buzz. I acquired the second and third tones back in late April/early May after getting very sick from a nasty virus/cold. I’ve also had lingering sinus and possible Eustachian tube problems since then which I contribute to the low tone.

The “fog” I felt in my head was always anxiety. Even before tinnitus, my anxiety was always through the roof. I could never really study, get a good sleep schedule, or even eat right sometimes. It felt like a rope was wrapped around my brain. Of course after getting tinnitus and going down the rabbit hole of searching about it, my anxiety went up tenfold. I didn’t start taking SSRIs until 2020 and cut them off last year after using them alongside therapy.

Since mid-June, I’ve also been experiencing new physical problems; fleeting high-pitched tinnitus that comes and goes in one or both ears as well as some sort of muscle spasm within my middle ear. There have been times where I am not thinking about tinnitus at all, I run down the stairs from my bedroom and I get to the bottom only to realize that my ears have somehow gotten Pop Rocks inside them. There have also been times where my fleeting tinnitus comes on so strong and loud that it physically startles me like I’ve had someone jump out from a bush in front of me. It takes me a second to recuperate but wow is it awful sometimes.

When these both happen to me, the first thing I do is try not to let the anxiety get to me and think rationally before I get in my head. I know that I haven’t been near any loud noises, I have not taken anything that would damage my ears, and nothing physically has happened to my ears like someone slapping them. I am being safe.

I believe I experience psychosomatic issues relating to my tinnitus because it is the most apparent stress causing thing I have right now. 9/10 times I get weary because of my tinnitus and how much I am absorbed in it. Sometimes I feel lots of weird pain radiating from my jaws and around neck, even though my jaw issue is only on my left side and it doesn’t cause me much physical pain.

As far as making goes, the hiss is relatively easy for me to mask. I run an air purifier 24/7/365 in my bedroom and the noise it emits masks the ring and low buzz with ease. The hiss I can still hear but the air purifier seems to operate around the same dB as it when I’m on my bed (40-45 dB). Fortunately for me, driving in a car and taking a shower also easily mask it, both of which usually hover around the low 60s - mid 70s dB. I am always grateful that my tinnitus is not at a point that those two wouldn’t be able to cover it up.

My advice in regards to your hissing and brain fog is not letting your anxiety get the better of you. I have done everything in my power to eliminate all potential dangers that may exacerbate or cause tinnitus. When my fleeting tinnitus and muscle spasms happen, I tell myself that it will be okay because I am not doing anything to make it worse. I am not being punished for anything. It won’t be like this forever. It takes a lot to calm down but I basically become a broken record and have to repeat the same thing over and over so I understand it more.

We are smart about our tinnitus. I’m weirdly allergic to kiwis. I tried one, had a bad reaction, but haven’t had one since. I’ve been to a concert before without hearing protection but ever since then I use double protection. I actually haven’t been to any concert since last year and honestly am not taking that risk ever again. We make choices we may regret but at the end of the day, we’re only human. We can learn from our mistakes and use this knowledge to better ourselves and traverse life in a safe way.

I’m sorry that you are going through this. Just remember that you are not alone. Every day gets simultaneously harder yet easier, but it all takes time. You got this! We are all here with and for you. :D

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. SarahMLFlemmer

SarahMLFlemmer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accutane (withdrawl)
      One day at a time. One moment at a time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      @kingsfan, how's the brain fog as of now? Did you receive any suggestions for dealing with it that were promising and worth a shot?

I personally believe that my brain fog is inextricably tied to tinnitus and hyperacusis, and not just a symptom of regular depression and anxiety. I've suffered from regular depression and anxiety in the past, but I swear that never made me forgetful and easily distractable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      The best I have found is pink noise devices, or hearing aids where I play ocean sound through Bluetooth, as well as engaging in a flow state activity: modern dance, tai chi, swimming etc. Also, sometimes watching a movie. But I get the brain fog. When the tinnitus is intense, it becomes very hard to concentrate on other things. I'd say the ocean sound played through the hearing aids is probably my go to measure.

15. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I handle it lke any other tinnitus sound. It's there and it's a sound. Hissing, screeching, scraping, ringing, buzzing - it's all the same. A fucking irritation at times, depending how loud it is. The cause is the same (inner ear damage) in most cases.

I've learnt a few basics:

1) the sound rarely matters,
      2) with no treatments, the frequency doesn't matter.

I see so many posts that go on and on and on, from people listening and counting the number of sounds, to testing the frequency. What has this ever achieved?

16. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I 100% agree with that.

The only thing achieved is increased emotional distress. So totally counterintuitive in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      This sounds like a person who has well habituated?

If I may ask a few questions.

1) How long did it take you to get to the point where you could use the phrases "doesn't/rarely matter" when referring to you tinnitus?

2) You seem to hint that the loudness bothers you but not so much the type of sound(s)? Is this correct?

3) Did you self-analyse your sounds from onset? And if so, how long did it take you to realise it achieved nothing?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    18. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Seems like that is the case, but sometimes possibly TMJ and/or neck caused.

19. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I have a static type hiss in my left ear.

It certainly is about volume. Lower than a certain level, it is not really an issue.

I tried noise files etc and while it is quite nice to listen to them, I try to avoid it as I do not want to become dependent on them and I also noticed whenever I stopped listening, my tinnitus level seemed to be higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi @Jupiterman. I've not habituated. I am resigned to it though. I have profound hearing loss in one ear so no masking or sound therapy really helps.

The loudness and type of sounds certainly make a difference - no doubt about it.

Because I don't want it, I will not sit there listening to it and counting the number of sounds though. Nor will I match the frequency. The simple reasons are it's not helpful to me.

When Auricle or some other treatment is available, then I will start to obsess over the exact frequency.

Until then... fcuk it. It does what it does and I would prefer it gone. It instantly gets louder when I boil the kettle, for example.

When I have had enough, I will take Clonazepam for a day or two.

Someone in the Back to Silence thread said:
      • Don't measure it
      • Don't describe it
      • Don't count it
      I'm not habituated.

• Hug Hug x 4
    21. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I have the hissing type of tinnitus, and have had it for 20-30 years now. To me, that's the easiest type to mask w/ a box fan where you sit and sleep, or something similar, even a radio tuned between channels. Not noticing it sounds unrealistic, you just get used to it, to a point. Different masking things have different frequencies, so it may take a little experimentation to find the best one.

Talking about it just makes one more aware of it, so that's not at all effective, and why I stopped going to in-person groups after only a couple of times. The idea is to go about your life in as normal a manner as you can, by any means necessary.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      It's hard to imagine dealing with this condition for so long. I've only been a member of the club since 2020 and it feels like an eternity already. I definitely agree talking about it does no good, other than to commiserate. May you find adequate distraction in your daily grind.

23. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      I've been dealing with hissing and static in my left ear for 3 years now. I did experience brain fog badly for the first year but over time it went away. I did Lenire, which made it worse (bastards).

I'm habituated to mine, but there are days where it bothers me or where it gets too much. I still use hearing protection in most loud places, and long haul car journeys are difficult.

Weirdly if I go some place loud, my spike has a two day timer. So only two days later it spikes, but those two days are really quiet. Which is weird.

Anyways, it's very much somatic, so stretch, stretch, stretch everyone, and relax those muscles. It's not that simple, but one has to hope.

Wishing you all well,
      Sam