How I Got Back Into Reading

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Michael Leigh, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My favourite author is Peter James, who writes the Roy Grace books about a fictional Detective Superintendent, based in Brighton & Hove, and has become a TV drama series. I have enjoyed every episode. I live in Brighton but I'm originally from London, born and bred, and moved here in 2014. However, I don't think the move would have taken place if it weren't for Peter's Roy Grace books.

In 2008 my tinnitus became very severe due to a second noise trauma. This lasted for quite a while and affected the quality of my life tremendously. After many failed attempts at returning to reading, by chance I was browsing Amazon book titles and read a synopsis of a book titled: Dead Simple, written by Peter James, an author I had not read before.

There was something about Peter James's writing style that drew me into the story and found myself completely hooked, unlike any other author I have previously read. I placed my order and waited patiently for the book to arrive. Dead Simple didn't disappoint even though it took 5 weeks to read, due to the large fluctuations in my tinnitus that made concentration difficult, so only managed to read a few pages at a time. I read Looking Good Dead, the second Roy Grace book and once again found myself incredibly moved by Peter James's writing style and his ability to draw me into the story and keep me there. It didn't matter the book took me 4 weeks to read, I just felt pleased that I managed to get back into reading. Book 3, Not Dead Enough, kept the momentum going. The way Peter James described different locations in Brighton and the surrounding towns really intrigued me and I began to picture myself living there.

When I finished reading book 4, Dead Man's Footsteps, I wrote to Peter James, to say how much I enjoyed the Roy Grace novels and mentioned not been able to read for 2 years because of severe tinnitus. He kindly replied to my letter. I travelled to Brighton to attend Peter James's book signing of Roy Grace 5, Dead Tomorrow. It was the first time that I had been to an author's book signing. He remembered me from my letter and also asked about my tinnitus and whether I was having any treatment. I told him I had been under care of ENT doctor and audiologist.

After reading Roy Grace 12, Not Dead Yet, I made the decision to move to Brighton but wanted advice from someone that knows the City of Brighton & Hove well and therefore, I wrote to Peter James, asking if he could please recommend some nice places to live in Brighton and surrounding towns. Once again he kindly replied and gave me a lot of helpful information. He mentioned that he'd never been asked such a request before and added, please don't hold him accountable if I move to an area and don't like it.

This is my 9th year living in Brighton and enjoy it a lot.

Michael

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I find it very hard to read. I also have a lack of concentration. If the tinnitus settles some, I can pick up and read maybe 1 chapter. At one time I could read a whole book in one day, 300 or more pages. Not now.

Elmer

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand how you feel Elmer, when you want to read but can't because of intrusive tinnitus. The stress of it can sap all your strength and resolve. After 2 years of being unable to read, my goal was to reverse this, but it was not an easy task. Each book I tried, after 2 or 3 pages I would have to put it down, as the tinnitus made it incredibly difficult to comprehend what I had read.

When I read the synopsis of Peter James's book Dead Simple, my tinnitus was still intrusive but somehow I was able to bypass the noise and fully understand what I had read. I knew then this writer was someone special so I ordered the book. My assumptions were correct. Dead Simple took me 5 weeks to read but that didn't matter; whenever I picked the book up to read, I was instantly immersed into the story where I had left off. I kid you not, it were as if I was part of the action the writing is so absorbing.

When I was at Peter James's book signing, people that I spoke to mentioned they had felt the same way when reading his books.

Hope you are able to return to reading at some time in the future.

Take care,
      Michael

4. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Thank goodness reading is still good for me despite tinnitus. It became something more than reading when I moved from the Gulf Coast to New Orleans in the 70s. Anne Rice lived right around the corner, but none of us knew who she was. All we knew was that she had some of the creepiest people in the world wandering in and out of her place. People seemed to be writing in every bar or coffeehouse at the time.

New Orleans had a rich tradition of great writers like Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote. The South in general has always been a fertile breeding ground for writing. We suffered greatly after The War, and maybe writers need to suffer and be poor for a spell to write well. A Street Car Named Desire may seem to be a bit overblown by today's standards, but it wasn't far from the life I and my friends lived.

Hidden courtyards and secret Mardi Gras societies, the music in the streets. I still get a little shook up reading Williams, Capote and especially that great writer from Georgia, Flannery O'Connor. They understood that humans are often irrational and capable of just about anything in the right, or wrong, situation. And like Blanche DuBois, we've all had to depend on the kindness of strangers at some point in our lives.

When I moved to San Francisco in the early 80s it seemed absolutely sterile, provincial and somewhat conservative compared to many places in the old South. Everything was on the surface. But the coffeehouse society was still hanging on by its teeth, and one could pop into a cool one in The Mission or North Beach w/ books by Fitzgerald, Voltaire and the like. All free for the asking, just bring them back when you had read them, and leave some if you had any. Probably the last great book I read recently was The Long Goodbye.

• Winner Winner x 2
    5. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know if audiobooks would be an option for you (depends on the type of your tinnitus), but in my case I have been enjoying them a lot more than actual reading lately. While I listen to them, I do arts and crafts, or just relax before going to sleep.

Maybe you could give them a go.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately those earbuds have never worked for me. I could never find a pair that would fit properly and not fall out. My hearing aids are of different size to fit.

7. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I listen to them on speaker using my phone. If the quality of your phone's speaker is not good for, you there are better speakers you can connect your phone to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have not done much leisure reading since I got tinnitus as I lose interest in the book during days when my tinnitus is worse. However, I am able to research and read for work as I have to meet deadlines. I am just not motivated enough for leisure reading as much.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can make leisure reading extremely difficult @Lilah so try not to worry about this. The fact you are able to research and read to meet deadlines at work, is quite an achievement and I applaud you for this. When the time is right and you're able to read for pleasure, you will be able to do so. Take things slow and above all, try not to put pressure on yourself.

Take care,
      Michael

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see you are from Ireland. We are in Co. Wicklow.

11. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I live in Dublin, but I'm not Irish, I'm one of the many expats living here.

I haven't visited much of Wicklow yet, just Bray and Greystones (very pretty walk!).

Btw, here we can use Borrowbox for free to listen to audiobooks, it's very good.

12. Elmer B Fuddled

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where are you from originally? Come to Wicklow and visit Glendalough, some great walking there.

13. RainbowCat
      Lurking

RainbowCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm Argentine, I moved to Dublin six and a half years ago.

I want to visit Glendalough, yeah, but it's hard to get there as I don't drive.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I like taking a leisurely stroll along Brighton's seafront, which was where my recent photo for my profile was taken and uploaded a few days ago. At the moment, the next TV series of Grace, is being filmed at various locations in Brighton and surrounding towns. I got an unexpected treat this morning, as filming was about to start on Madeira Drive Brighton. A member of the crew told me they were filming the second episode in the 4th series, titled Want You Dead. It will be shown in the UK next year. All the Roy Grace books have Dead in the title.

IMG20230523105422.jpg

IMG20230523105453.jpg

IMG20230523110215.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      What helps with reading?

Well each person is different. But what helps me is -- you might know of that painting by Edwin Hopper: "Sunlight in an empty room".

You need peace, you need quiet, solitude and some warm sunlight can really help along too. Of course you can get that in the back garden/yard too.

• Like Like x 1
    16. SamRosemary

SamRosemary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m not a big reader, but recently been trying to get back into it. Recently I read Verity and The Housemaid. They’re kind of thriller/romance/crime/mystery. Not exactly amazing writing and some may find them juvenile, but I find them to be entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As long as you are getting pleasure out of the reading @SamRosemary, that's all that matters. Try and keep up the reading because it's beneficial in so many ways.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      book.jpg PJ.jpg

It was a pleasure to meet my favourite author Peter James, last Thursday September 29, for the signing of his new Roy Grace book, Stop Them Dead, number 19 in the series. The queue of people seemed to go on forever, so much of the time I spent chatting to people. I was surprised when Peter asked how is my tinnitus? I was pleased to say it's much more manageable from the dark years of 2008 to 2012. If it weren't for his Roy Grace books, I might never have got back into reading or moved to Brighton. I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

When some people become famous through their work, they tend to forget where they came from and lose touch with the people that helped get them there. Peter is down to earth and always has time for his readers. Please forgive me for covering up my name on the book signing, as I prefer not to use my real name on the Internet. Thank you.

At the moment I am reading: If Tomorrow Comes, written by the late great American author and screen writer Sidney Sheldon. I read this book 38 years ago, long before I had tinnitus. The book is set in an era where the Internet, social media and mobile phones weren't around. I have read all the Sidney Sheldon books and highly recommend them. If anyone remembers the TV show: I Dream of Jeannie, starring Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman, Sidney Sheldon was the screen writer and wrote many other shows.

If you are having some difficulty getting back into reading because of your tinnitus, I understand this. Please don't give up. Be patient and take things slowly. When you're ready, give Sidney Sheldon's books or Peter James' Roy Grace books a try.

Best of luck,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    19. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I never would have guessed this was not your real name. Glad you have found your need to read. And thanks for all your sincere if not always readily accepted help offered on Tinnitus Talk. Bless You!

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for your kind comments @BrOKeN_1. Michael is actually my middle name.

Returning to reading wasn't easy, believe me. I am not the type of person that gives up easily, but after many failed attempts at reading other authors back in 2010, two years after my second noise trauma, I started to think that I was beaten! I became miserable and at times depressed, because I couldn't read and was unable to listen to music through my Hi-Fi, something else I'm deeply passionate about is listening to music in very high quality. My audio system was packed up in boxes and stored in the loft.

My ENT consultant prescribed me Clonazepam in late 2010, then things slowly started to turn around. It took another two years and a lot of soul searching, to be able to look forward and leave the past behind.

Take care,
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      This condition can certainly beat the life out of you at times. After nearly three years, I still cannot calm myself enough to sit and read even with light masking noises. Best I can manage is audiobooks which I listen to using my hearing aids. Poor audio at best but safety is key after last year's worsening. I would be interested in any audiobook recommendations you might have. I just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon". A very interesting yet graphic history of the American Indians.

Thankfully I've only had a brief run-in with hyperacusis and will do all in my power to never suffer agian that awful condition. Still wrapping my brain around the permanent aspect of tinnitus after all this time.

With respect,
      BrOKeN_1

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't listen to audiobooks at the moment so I'm unable to recommend any titles. I understand the reasons you are unable to concentrate on reading but at least you are getting pleasure out of listening to audiobooks. Try not to give up hope that one day you might return to reading books because your circumstances could improve.

I have a few suggestions that you might want to consider. It reads on your profile your cause of tinnitus is high-frequency hearing loss. I took the liberty of reading a few of your very early posts on Tinnitus Talk and noted that you used to listen to audio through headphones. If you regularly used headphones before the onset of your tinnitus, then your underlying problem could be noise-induced tinnitus which can also result in hearing loss. The fact that you have mentioned experiencing hyperacusis, this could be an indication that you have noise-induced tinnitus, since hyperacusis or having some oversensitivity to sound often (but not always) accompanies tinnitus that is noise induced.

Since you are getting pleasure listening to audiobooks through your hearing aids, I don't want to dissuade you from doing this. However, I think it would be remiss of me not to mention, streaming audio through hearing aids can irritate noise-induced tinnitus in some people that have the condition and spike hyperacusis if it is present - it is just something to keep in mind even though you probably keep the volume low.

If you haven't had a hearing test recently, I advise that you do. Once your hearing is at its optimum with hearing aids, you might want to consider listening to audiobooks through a portable audio player instead of streaming through your hearing aids. If you are able to get hearing aids that also have white or pink noise fitted, then you could try introducing these sounds slowly to help treat the tinnitus and any hyperacusis or oversensitivity to sound that you might have. Your audiologist might be able to help you further on this.

My advice is only a suggestion for you to think about. It's possible that in time, you could see improvement in your condition that will enable you to return to reading books.

All the best,
      Michael

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      IMG20231017114951.jpg

sandy.jpg

View attachment 56858

View attachment 56859

It was a pleasure to meet and shake the hand of my favorite author, Mr Peter James, today in Brighton for the signing of They Thought I Was Dead. It is Sandy's Story, the wife of Detective Superintendent Roy Grace. She went missing way back in book one of the Roy Grace series, Dead Simple, which was 19 books ago.

I got chatting to people waiting for their book to be signed, eager as I, to find out what has happened to Sandy for the past ten years. Roy declared Sandy dead and is now happily married to Celo, a Senior Anatomical Pathology Technician at Brighton Mortuary.

Some people were taken aback when I mentioned that Peter James and Roy Grace's books was one of the reasons I moved to Brighton in 2014. Without these books, I wouldn't have gotten back into reading as my tinnitus was so severe. When it was my turn to meet the great writer, he smiled, saying, it's great to see you Mr Tinnitus! Of course, I laughed. As always, he asked about my tinnitus, and I said I'm coping with it much better now.

Please forgive me for covering up my real name on the book signing.

Michael