• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

How Long for Burning Ear Pain to Subside?

Sevv

Author
Benefactor
Apr 17, 2019
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud concert
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had my best tinnitus day in the last 4 months. It was really low. Unfortunately my fate decided to confront me with an idiot bus driver who made an announcement in the bus through the speaker system, which was incredibly loud, certainly around 100dB. I immediately covered my ears (was still uncomfortable), but developed dull/burning ear pain later in the evening (annoying, but not severe). I have hyperacusis in the high frequencies and speaker systems are something I do not tolerate well, especially not this loud.

My tinnitus has not spiked so far and I haven't gotten a setback with hyperacusis (regarding noise tolerance), just ear pain. This is my first time with this symptom, so how long do your episodes of ear pain last after noise exposure, for those who it is not permanent?

So it has been a week and it's hard to tell whether it has improved or not. Could use some hope here. =/

Has your burning got any better?
I still get the burning almost daily but it fluctuates rather than being there all day long. I thought I was doing better overall but my facial pain got significantly worse, loudness hyperacusis came back with a vengeance and my tinnitus is also at an all time high so I guess it was a trade off.

Hello everyone,

After getting burning pain in my ears from my bus driver incident (100dB announcement through speakers, plugged my ears in 0.3 seconds but still painfully loud) I now after a week also have a spike. My tinnitus is more aggressive in both ears and I now experience a noticeable deep drone.
I took NAC and magnesium after the incident but seemingly it hasn't helped.

I could probably deal with this setback, but what is the point anymore? I can't become more cautious without secluding myself for the coming years. I probably should have done it last year since it's clearly too risky to be around anyone for me. I'm fairly tired of fighting these constant setbacks. I have a hard time believing that this delayed spike is going away and even if, there's just the next incident waiting for me.

I can't be part of society that allows such noise incidents (excessively loud concerts, fireworks, speaker systems) to happen. I am just not cut for it. And increasingly unwilling to stay part of this society.

@Sevv
@Bill Bauer

I agree, it is hard to live in a society with so much noise, especially for us.
At the beginning, it seems we walk a fine line between protecting and not overprotecting from sounds and sometimes it hard to know what to do. Then there are setbacks...

Not sure how to do the "quote" thing but when I was reading through some of your posts before responding,
I came across the post below from Bill Bauer to you.....

I believe everyone on this forum means well when giving advice and it up to each individual to decide what advice to heed as what works for one person may not work for another.

For myself, I consider Bill's advice to be wise counsel for moving through our world. He does warn of overprotection but also advocates protection.

You are out in the world...working, riding the bus, going for walks with friends....
You mentioned you have not experienced any setback with hyperacusis (regarding noise tolerance).
These are both awesome!

The fear and constant worry about being caught off guard and a sound worsening our condition and then wondering if it will get better again is definitely just as hard as the physical symptoms we have.

Are you pursuing any therapy...TRT? CBT?

upload_2020-7-1_9-12-13.png

PS: I'm going to return the favor and "just leave this here"

https://hyperacusisfocus.org/hope/

You sent this to me on Monday and it made my day.

I printed it and put it on my refrigerator so I can read it many times a day. A reminder of the hope that things can get better.

Be good to yourself! Better days are ahead!

@Sevv
@Bill Bauer

I agree, it is hard to live in a society with so much noise, especially for us.
At the beginning, it seems we walk a fine line between protecting and not overprotecting from sounds and sometimes it hard to know what to do. Then there are setbacks...

Not sure how to do the "quote" thing but when I was reading through some of your posts before responding,
I came across the post below from Bill Bauer to you.....

I believe everyone on this forum means well when giving advice and it up to each individual to decide what advice to heed as what works for one person may not work for another.

For myself, I consider Bill's advice to be wise counsel for moving through our world. He does warn of overprotection but also advocates protection.

You are out in the world...working, riding the bus, going for walks with friends....
You mentioned you have not experienced any setback with hyperacusis (regarding noise tolerance).
These are both awesome!

The fear and constant worry about being caught off guard and a sound worsening our condition and then wondering if it will get better again is definitely just as hard as the physical symptoms we have.

Are you pursuing any therapy...TRT? CBT?

View attachment 39663

PS: I'm going to return the favor and "just leave this here"

https://hyperacusisfocus.org/hope/

You sent this to me on Monday and it made my day.

I printed it and put it on my refrigerator so I can read it many times a day. A reminder of the hope that things can get better.

Be good to yourself! Better days are ahead!
Hey LindaS
Thank you for your answer. Great that I was able to help somebody, in a way that is meaningful to me. :)

I do practice mindfulness and have invested a lot of time into my mental health even before tinnitus (I was never very stable so it seemed fairly important to me). My emotional turmoil generally happens because I tend to lose hope after setbacks (my second in 5 months despite trying everything to prevent it) which can quickly bring me back to suicidality. I mean most people go without any worsenings for a long time and they are probably not overly cautious. I am overly cautious but manage to worse twice in about a year since initial onset (plus mild visual snow). I'm a bit unhappy at the moment because my tinnitus is now finally bilateral where before it was mostly unilateral. I hope this spike eventually settles but it is fairly discouraging. I can bounce back from suicidality but each time I get there I get closer to being pushed over the edge. Right now I am ok but suicide has advanced to a more or less concrete fall-back plan that I might choose if this continues like this.

Edit: My first worsening was because of bad judgement and losing cautiousness for just a moment (right then it happened). My second worsening was just bad luck. From the first one I learned. From the second one there's nothing to learn.

@Sevv

You are still very early. From what I've read, it takes time, and the road to getting better isn't always linear.

Just an idea: Would it help to gather up positive stories, posts, links (like the one you sent me) to read/reread when you need to.

I have created a "tinnitus" & "hyperacusis" journal called "Treasured Hope" where I keep printed positive stuff.
Helps me especially at night when I can't sleep.

There are lots of people here 24/7 to help you. Hang in there!

@Sevv

Please don't give up with hope. I have read your previous posts with interest and you did seem on the road to recovery and was very positive. Sorry to hear about the setback. You are like me and everyone else that we have so many things we would like to do in life but can't. This what makes us depressed and frustrated.

In life we will all go through a bad patch where things will not go our way. Then one day with maybe some luck things will start looking rosy and it will go in our favour. Just hang in there.

My tinnitus is really bad now and my ears burn constantly - yes it difficult more from the fact my life is on hold and really dull though with COVID-19 there isn't much to do anyway. I have plans for next year but looks like they will not materialise due to hyperacusis and tinnitus - yes it makes me terribly sad. Though I need to find something else to fill this void.

I know it can be all consuming and CBT may help you and me just to change the mind set.

@Sevv

Please don't give up with hope. I have read your previous posts with interest and you did seem on the road to recovery and was very positive. Sorry to hear about the setback. You are like me and everyone else that we have so many things we would like to do in life but can't. This what makes us depressed and frustrated.

In life we will all go through a bad patch where things will not go our way. Then one day with maybe some luck things will start looking rosy and it will go in our favour. Just hang in there.

My tinnitus is really bad now and my ears burn constantly - yes it difficult more from the fact my life is on hold and really dull though with COVID-19 there isn't much to do anyway. I have plans for next year but looks like they will not materialise due to hyperacusis and tinnitus - yes it makes me terribly sad. Though I need to find something else to fill this void.

I know it can be all consuming and CBT may help you and me just to change the mind set.
Thanks mate. The pain has subsided a little, as I haven't thought about it for days. But when it lowered my tinnitus increased and has stayed like that for 1.5 weeks now. Time will tell if it's temporary or permanent.
The thing is that if you keep having bad luck, you eventually can get to a point where you stop believing that it can get better. This is my fourth setback in 16 months despite being more cautious than most people. You get the feeling that something is off and feel discouraged to keep going.

The good news is that I have found a purpose to keep staying (or at least one for now), and I plan to go further from there. Of course maybe I have to downsize a bit for the coming years but there should be a possibility to make it through 'til we have something to reduce the ringing, as long as I can still see some purpose in life.

Man, this shit can get loud in the night. At least I can still sleep and my days are mostly fine. Can't believe such a short exposure would screw me over like this.

Edit: Just did one of this online hearing tests. Can't hear below 150Hz anymore, which would explain why I have a deep drone now that I hear now and then. And lost a bit more in the very high frequencies. I'm beyond pissed right now. And now it's obviously too late for prednisone. Not even FX-322 can help me there anymore...

Man, this shit can get loud in the night. At least I can still sleep and my days are mostly fine. Can't believe such a short exposure would screw me over like this.

Edit: Just did one of this online hearing tests. Can't hear below 150Hz anymore, which would explain why I have a deep drone now that I hear now and then. And lost a bit more in the very high frequencies. I'm beyond pissed right now. And now it's obviously too late for prednisone. Not even FX-322 can help me there anymore...
They will likely reformulate FX-322 to be effective in the low frequencies as well, either through additional doses or better delivery method.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now