How to Get Maximum Hearing Protection without Earmuffs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by scared8, Aug 23, 2023.

1. scared8

scared8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma (mri)
      Hi everyone,

I noticed recently I’m getting nerve like ear pain that sometimes worsens from wearing Peltor X5A earmuffs. I’m terrified to not wear double hearing protection when leaving my room due to unexpected noise (dog barking, mom opening something). Does anyone have any tips on this?

I love the protection of the X5As. I usually take them off in my room, so maybe I should only use them when exiting the room?

If anyone has any non-irritating reusable earplug suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Foam earplugs seem to be causing issues which is a bummer since they can provide great protection.

Thanks!

2. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Yeah, I don't use earmuffs unless absolutely necessary because they're just too tight for me too. I've read about people benefitting from replacing the current earcups with gel ones. I've also read that you can make the muffs less tight by stretching them over something (like a box), though I've yet to try this.

Unfortunately, as far as non-foam earplugs go, based on my experience, it's pretty much impossible to find anything with anywhere near the protection of foams. And the occlusion effect for reusable earplugs tends to be really bad (at least based on my experience).

I used to avoid foams because they aggravate my TMJ, but have since realized that sadly, other than ear muffs, there's really nothing to replace them. So it's more about finding the foams that work best for you. I recently got Howard Leight Laser Lite foams & they are surprisingly much more comfy than the Mack's I previously used. Even though they have a slightly lower NRR rating, they also block A LOT more noise. The only thing I don't like about them is that they expand quite quickly, so are harder to get into the ears. But overall, I am a lot happier with them - & they are cheaper when bought in bulk to boot!

For some lighter protection when you're sitting/lying down, I like Loop Quiets. Be warned though that the occlusion is really bad when walking/moving around.

Good luck, & let us know if you find anything that works well for you!

Maddy

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      This is solely my experience, and other people may/probably experience it differently. Earplugs amped my tinnitus way up, or rather, w/o any background sound to mask my tinnitus it made the perception of the tinnitus much, much louder. I can't wear them at all.

In the beginning my tinnitus was either scary loud or I hadn't habituated to it yet, nor found masking sounds that worked . So I was super careful about protecting my ears. Now, having had this medical condition for probably 20 years, I have a pretty good idea on how it behaves and have some masking aids at home that help.

My neighbors have little yappy dogs that bark LOUDLY over every little thing when we're outside visiting and talking story. It's a piercing loud bark, and I was worried it would make my tinnitus louder. But there hasn't been an increase in it, and my ears are super sensitive to noise.

So I'm not sure if there is scientific evidence that an unexpected loud noise can increase tinnitus for very long (for me), it just startles me, which brings my blood pressure up, then it goes back down almost as fast as it went up. Blood pressure plays an important role in my perception of tinnitus. Long ago I decided to have a life rather than freak out over every unexpected noise. I can't control the world, stuff happens. Avoiding super loud music venues is mandatory, but I still listen to live music. Outside is way better than inside because sound can disperse much better and it's easier to get further back.

Anything that draws attention to my tinnitus makes the perception of it much worse too. Most people have this problem. So I come here only in a great while and never go to support groups. The one time I did that was a very unpleasant experience.

• Like Like x 1
    4. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      scared8

scared8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma (mri)
      Funny enough I just ordered some gel cushions! (@kingsfan, you read my mind haha.)

I’ll check out those Howard Leight earplugs as well, thank you so much. I have Loop Quiets too and I definitely agree about the occlusion when walking. I’m wearing them now and went to turn off a light switch sort-of slowly & I could hear the loud click. I just wanted to rest my ears from foam earplugs but that was scary.
      I feel you about barking dogs! My dog has a piercing bark and it is intense. I’d like to go for a few hours without earplugs but my A/C vent is insanely loud.

Agreed, when tinnitus is isolated and amplified, it’s difficult to concentrate on anything else!