How to Manage Reactive Tinnitus That Followed Loudness Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jazz Jackrabbit, Sep 20, 2024 at 6:52 PM.

1. Jazz Jackrabbit

Jazz Jackrabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Four weeks ago, I developed hyperacusis after attending a concert. I’ve seen my family doctor and an audiologist. My hearing is normal, and the audiologist reiterated what is often said in cases like this: I experienced acoustic trauma, and I just need to give it time to heal. My doctor referred me to an ENT, but the earliest appointment I could get is in January.

The main sensitivity I’ve developed is to anything coming from a speaker (TV, computer, phone). The normal volume I’m used to now feels too loud, and I have to turn it down. Everyday sounds generally don’t bother me at all, and there’s no pain.

I’ve been taking necessary precautions for a few weeks now, such as keeping volumes low, using headphones minimally or not at all, and avoiding loud environments. Overall, I think I’m seeing some improvement, but I still experience what I assume is reactive tinnitus.

My question is: how should I be managing this? For example, if I watch TV at a low volume, it doesn’t feel too loud, and there’s no discomfort, but I still notice some tinnitus afterward. Should I wear earplugs in these situations? Should my goal be to minimize reactive tinnitus as much as possible, or is this just part of the process of getting back to my normal volume tolerance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      You have artificial sound sensitivity.

When you expose your ears to artificial sound and damage them, your body responds with tinnitus. There’s a strong chance this will worsen if you don’t heed the warnings your body is giving you.

My advice: stop all exposure to artificial sound immediately, especially headphones. Use subtitles to get by while you give your ears time to recover—three months minimum is my suggestion.

You will undoubtedly encounter people who offer the opposite advice.

Remember, these are your ears, and it’s your risk to take.