• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Hyperacusis Embarrassed

Seashore22

Author
May 30, 2017
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hi all,

I am new to this group, first time posting but have been finding other posts helpful.

Like many others here I struggle very much with both Tinnitus and Hyperacusis and have become very self conscious about my sometimes bizarre reactions to uncomfortable noise in public.

Although I am aware that many people are often too busy with there own lives to notice, I sometimes often feel jumpy and very embarrassed that people may notice the many avoidance techniques that I have developed.

This is now making me want to avoid going out as well as avoiding noise discomfort, does anyone else experience this or maybe offer any advice. Thank you!

Hi all,

I am new to this group, first time posting but have been finding other posts helpful.

Like many others here I struggle very much with both Tinnitus and Hyperacusis and have become very self conscious about my sometimes bizarre reactions to uncomfortable noise in public.

Although I am aware that many people are often too busy with there own lives to notice, I sometimes often feel jumpy and very embarrassed that people may notice the many avoidance techniques that I have developed.

This is now making me want to avoid going out as well as avoiding noise discomfort, does anyone else experience this or maybe offer any advice. Thank you!

I am very shy and also have dealt for years with ocd (long before T or H). Just be yourself. Most likely no one is noticing and if they are so what. Or use it as a moment for awareness. I figure lots of things people do bother me and I learn to put up with it so they can reciprocate.

I do get concerned though when things like loud noises or other things I have a sensitivity to cause me to seem unpleasant. I'm not and try not to be but sometimes my immediate reaction is less than stellar (lol).

Thank you, good advice Light Rain. I too sometimes have unpleasant reactions which often are totally out of character such as swearing suddenly out loud following a sudden noise. Even though I often laugh at myself, this is what I find the most embarrassing.

Thank you, good advice Light Rain. I too sometimes have unpleasant reactions which often are totally out of character such as swearing suddenly out loud following a sudden noise. Even though I often laugh at myself, this is what I find the most embarrassing.
That is what I tend to do too (which I really hate) or else I just cant hide my displeasure in that instance. I think it is just an automatic reaction. I admit it has at times caused me to avoid things and leave places for fear I'll do this (like church). It happened this Easter - not the swearing thankfully - but the noise and all the activity made me not sociable.

Hi all,

Most severe-H sufferers avoid going out, or some specific activities that may involve loud sound around.

Most severe-H sufferers avoid going out, or some specific activities that may involve loud sound around.
Its one of the main behavioural characteristics of the disease. Isolation and withdrawal.

The same thing happens to me. It's embarrassing because I feel like everyone else notices. I jump at every sudden loud noise. I'm too shy to say anything and ask people to be more quiet so I've avoided going out for this reason, which isn't helpful.

It is just a health issue, no need to be ashamed of it. It is like wearing glasses, or a hearing aid, or a walking stick.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now