I Need Support and Help (Has Anyone Lost a Lot of Hearing? I Am Afraid It Will Progress)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Litani, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Litani

Litani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I got tinnitus in my left ear after being close to very loud fire alarm at work in 2014. At the time I went to ENT and I did not have any hearing loss. I also had an MRI and everything was fine. After having many many dark days, I finally habituated after six months and I did not hear my tinnitus.

Four months ago I attended my son's graduation party without protecting my ears. Few days later my left ear got louder. I also started having tinnitus in my right ear. Every since I am back to square one. The last four months have been very torturous. I cannot sleep well. I cannot concentrate at work. I am constantly thinking about it and monitoring the sound.

Last week, I downloaded hearing test application on my phone and it is showing that I lost a lot of hearing. I am 52 and it is telling me that I have the hearing of a 70 year old. This made matters a lot worst. The past week has been one of the worst weeks of my life. I have not slept. I also lost 8 pounds in one week.

The first time around I habituated since I did not have any underlying medical condition. Has anyone lost a lot of hearing? I am afraid it will progress. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would book in for a hearing test and see ENT or your doctor.
      You could have a wax build up or mucous in your middle ears .
      Ask your doctor for help to sleep better with melatonin or a short course of sleeping tablets if you suffer sleep loss as it can make you really low and cause depression on top of your tinnitus as a good sleep can help get through the toughest of days. ..lots of love glynis

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi . You need your hearing tested properly by an audiologist not by downloading a test to your phone. It's probably not accurate. Go and see your doctor he or she will refer you for a hearing test done properly by an audiologist.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Litani

Litani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I have been consumed by my tinnitus spike for 5 months now. Yesterday I we had 30 guests for Thanksgiving. I had few drinks. I was so busy entertaining the guests. I realized that I have not thought about tinnitus for about 4 hours. It was an amazing breakthrough for me.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Litani ,
      Keeping busy helps take our focus away from our tinnitus.
      When at work or busy with my grandson who's 3 helps take my mind off tinnitus and when out and about...lots of love glynis

6. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Did you get your hearing tested since your original post?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Litani

Litani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      No I did not. However I went to a GP and she said I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. She told me to take over the counter Allegra D twice a day for two weeks. She also told me also to use over the counter Flownase once a day. I have another appointment in 2 weeks. I am hoping by that time my hearing will improve. If it does not she will refer me to ENT.

• Like Like x 1