Mighty Benefactor
Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2013
Denmark
Tinnitus Since
Resolved since 2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown (medication, head injury)
An article by The Economist states that Americans spend three billion dollars (annually) on homeopathic medicine (which is proven to be ineffective). Yet... as an interesting comparison, the ATA has revenues (per year) just above one million dollars (or 3,000 times less). So... in a nutshell, the average person out there is willing to flush money down the toilet, but not donate to proper research... :rolleyes:

I always knew people made sense (especially after having been a member of a public forum such as TinnitusTalk... :D).

P.S. For those actually interested in facts & figures (a minority, I would assume), you can find a post of mine from 18 months ago that has the statistics and annual report of the ATA (from 2015):

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fear.17127/page-2#post-200709

Proof of how easily snake oil salesman are able to separate fools from their money. And if the FDA ever decides to made homeopathy illegal, you'll have the same group of fools ranting and raving about how "big pharma" lobbyist shut it down because they were afraid of losing their strangle hold on the market. Ugh.....

100% depressing.

This doesn't represent all Americans though.

I live in a country of Young Earth creationist, people who believe in the daily horoscope and other woo/religious nonsense. They elected a man who has hyper nationalist view points and conspiracies about global warming. It's really a shame.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now