Knocking Your Ear Muffs While Wearing Them — Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Has anyone accidentally knocked their earmuffs while wearing them? Apparently it can make a loud noise momentarily, I measured it up to 104 dB if I knock hard on it with a key. Is there anyway this is dangerous?

I just knocked mine on the side of my car door while trying to get out, but not very hard.

I am scared now to have more issues.

I am not sure if I am spiking or overreacting.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It's hard not to overreact when it comes to tinnitus but I'm sure it's a spike.

3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I hear people worry about the noise from hitting the muffs a lot around here. I have never been worried about it, even now that my ears are more messed up than ever before. It has never seemed so loud to me. How are you guys hitting them that hard to worry so?

If it was really that loud, yeah I think it's dangerous. I think all sounds close to the ear are. But that is how I got T plus a worsening so I am in my opinion rightfully paranoid.

4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Ive done this. It didn't worsen my tinnitus. All I can do about is say to myself "dont do that again". Cause I need my ear muffs no matter what when I'm out.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I have done this many times and I don't think I ever got a permanent spike. I have 2 pairs of earmuffs, both from Peltor.

The Optime III-s I have have a hard, glossy, plastic cover from the sides. The X5A-s have a rubbery, matte, cover and they make a significantly quieter bang when you hit them(I think the designers actually thought of this).

I find myself wearing the Optime III-s more when out and about because the X5A-s do really look like Mikey Mouse ears but the X5A-s offer more protection and are I think significantly less dangerous were you to hit them hard accidentally.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018