Looking for Input on Sedation: Fentanyl/Midazolam/Propofol

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 21, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hi all,

I have to schedule a couple of tests (colonoscopy and upper endoscopy) that will require sedation. The doctor who will be doing these uses either Propofol or a combination of Fentanyl and Midazolam via IV to do this.

Obviously, I have concerns about anesthesia and tinnitus and am looking for some information here.

I don’t want sedation at all, and when I told the scheduling office why I was concerned about it, the girl I spoke to was very understanding. She said I could do the colonoscopy without it, but the doctor who will be doing the tests requires that sedation be used for the upper endoscopy.

Of these choices (Propofol versus the Fentanyl & Midazolam combo), which in the tinnitus community is considered the least likely to either temporarily or, perhaps, permanently spike tinnitus?

I understand no one here can tell me what to do and that my experience could differ from yours, but any input from anyone who has used the Fentanyl/Midazolam “cocktail” or Propofol would be appreciated, and whether or not it had any effect on your tinnitus one way or the other.

I’ve looked online but haven’t really found anything concrete – maybe there isn’t anything concrete to find!

I’m truly concerned about this, and although the final decision is mine, I’d appreciate any information at all from folks here who have had to have anesthesia after the onset of their tinnitus.

Also, the colonoscopy will require using a bowel cleanser (probably GoLYTELY) the day before the test. Is there any information on the possible effects of tinnitus, or do you have any experience to share about that?

Thanks so much for reading this, and to anyone who has any input here.

Mystery Reader

2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I’m in the same boat, need surgery for abdominal hernia which is only getting bigger and bigger but I keep postponing surgery due to the same fear as you.

There really is no rules with this condition, what may be harmless for one person it may cause serious damage to another.

Let us know if you go ahead with your exam and what was used.

Good luck!

3. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Tinnitus as side effect of Propofol is very unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had Propofol for some surgery. It made absolutely no difference to my tinnitus. If I ever have to have another op, I wouldn't hesitate in having Propofol.

• Like Like x 1
    5. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      I had an endoscopy today. They administered Propofol. When it was given, my tinnitus increased 400x for like 3 seconds as I passed out. It was quieter on waking up, and returned to normal two hours later.

6. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Same here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      I requested Propofol after researching its effects on tinnitus and finding that it has little impact.

When I wake up, my tinnitus was the same.