• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Looking for Suggestions/Comments for a Case of Tinnitus, Hyperacusis and Aural Fullness

holey

Author
Aug 14, 2022
Tinnitus Since
n/a
Cause of Tinnitus
n/a
A friend of mine asked me to post here on his behalf. Like many of you, he's been having a terrible time dealing with his ear issues and related problems.

About four years ago, after attending a concert, he developed bilateral subjective tinnitus, hyperacusis and aural fullness. He has mild sensorineural hearing loss. His symptoms have worsened progressively over the past four years, with more drastic changes happening in response to a few loud noise exposures. Right now he hears a dozen or so different tinnitus tones, some of which are at a frequency he can no longer hear.

As a result of his ear issues, his sleep is completely disrupted; he'll typically get four hours of broken sleep per night. Some nights he doesn't sleep at all.

He has mild Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. As a child he had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. In the past he's had a couple of episodes of vestibular neuritis.

He's seen several audiologists and ENTs, plus a couple of neurologists. He's also had a tympanogram, CAT scan and MRI done, and there is no apparent physical problem causing all this.

So far he's tried sound therapy, acupuncture, neurofeedback, noise-generating hearing aids and cognitive behavioral therapy. Right now he's trying out auricular vagus nerve stimulation. So far, unfortunately, nothing has helped.

We'd really love any advice or just shared experience from people who have similar symptoms. In particular, is there anyone else out there with aural fullness that worsens with every loud noise exposure?

A friend of mine asked me to post here on his behalf. Like many of you, he's been having a terrible time dealing with his ear issues and related problems.

About four years ago, after attending a concert, he developed bilateral subjective tinnitus, hyperacusis and aural fullness. He has mild sensorineural hearing loss. His symptoms have worsened progressively over the past four years, with more drastic changes happening in response to a few loud noise exposures. Right now he hears a dozen or so different tinnitus tones, some of which are at a frequency he can no longer hear.

As a result of his ear issues, his sleep is completely disrupted; he'll typically get four hours of broken sleep per night. Some nights he doesn't sleep at all.

He has mild Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. As a child he had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. In the past he's had a couple of episodes of vestibular neuritis.

He's seen several audiologists and ENTs, plus a couple of neurologists. He's also had a tympanogram, CAT scan and MRI done, and there is no apparent physical problem causing all this.

So far he's tried sound therapy, acupuncture, neurofeedback, noise-generating hearing aids and cognitive behavioral therapy. Right now he's trying out auricular vagus nerve stimulation. So far, unfortunately, nothing has helped.

We'd really love any advice or just shared experience from people who have similar symptoms. In particular, is there anyone else out there with aural fullness that worsens with every loud noise exposure?
In perhaps a roundabout answer to your questions, I can detail one approach I've used to deal with tinnitus. I spent 6 weeks in India receiving Panchakarma, an Ayurvedic treatment related to yoga, i.e., the medicine practiced in India for millennia. My tinnitus went from severe to low moderate during the treatment. It remained moderate for a couple of months afterwards, but with the Covid epidemic my stress level increased, and stress affects the tinnitus I experience for the worse. (I live in the U.S. and flew to India because treatment there is far cheaper than in the states and the long-term stay was exactly what I needed.)

You might search for research articles addressing each of the symptoms he is experiencing and include the word Ayurveda. Reputable Ayurvedic clinics in India offer a course of Panchakarma (described here by an excellent American clinic). The course of treatment may vary depending upon the specific needs of the person.

Speaking from my own experience, long-term spikes by caused by acoustic traumas can resolve in a period of months or even a year or more.

I'm including a link to an article that reviews some of the Ayuervedic research done on tinnitus treatment to give you a starting point if you decide to research that avenue.

I had the fullness a couple of times since onset (10 months tomorrow). There is always pressure in my head and ears for me, but the fullness has subsided significantly.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now