Loud Tinnitus After Craniotomy — Diagnosed with Grade 4 Glioblastoma Multiforme

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Popeye1776, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Popeye1776

Popeye1776 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Long time occasional tinnitus 20+ years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aug 2020 Craniotomy has been 24/7 since
      I have had mild occasional tinnitus for a long time. But it is nothing compared to it now.

August 9th, 2020 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. August 14th I had a craniotomy. When I started coming into an undrugged state of mind, The extremely loud tinnitus was the first thing I noticed. It is constant and never ending.

I live in the country and am an avid outdoorsman, I love my peace and quiet, except now I have this deafening ring in my peace.

Grade 4 Glioblastoma multiforme, statistics say 12-16 months is the mean average of life after diagnosis. December 2021 is 16 months.

Merry Christmas! I try to live like it isn’t an ever present threat “incurable” is the term they use. Sleep is my biggest issue these days, in part to the tinnitus, not all of it, but part. Waking up to intense ringing is not conducive to getting back to sleep and music loud enough to mask it isn’t either. Let us see where this leads.

That is my story in a nutshell.

• Hug Hug x 8
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you. Sorry about your situation of loud tinnitus and facing an imminent threat of life and death circumstances. It must be tremendously stressful to face such uncertainty on one's mortality while dealing with a loud alien sound of intrusive tinnitus.

For masking to sleep, during my worst initial months, I uses loud nature sounds such as thunderstorms, waterfalls, cicadas, shower sound, crashing waves etc. They seem to be more soothing than loud music for me. I also had sleep aid medication to help out.

As for the threat or fear of imminent mortality, I have found comfort in watching videos of people with near death experiences. The picture they painted on life after is one of immense peace, love, compassion and perfect acceptance of one's life by the Lord or Heavenly beings. I don't face imminent threat on my own mortality but I had lost my own young son in a tragic accident and had done a lot of research on the subject of life and death. There are many stories on YouTube. A notable one is by Dr. Mary Neil who is a surgeon. She was drown and presumed dead after nearly 30 minutes under water. She was not a religious person and is living well with husband and 4 young kids. Yet she had the most miraculous experience in the spiritual realm, feeling so loved that she hated the idea of returning to life to rejoin her family. These near death experience videos have helped me deal with the tremendous grief of losing my son, as tragic and painful as it was. Hope you can check out her many videos on her amazing story. I must point out that while her story is reassuring the stories of people with near death experiences from suicide seem quite different.

Take good care and best wishes. God bless.

Death Brings Context to Life | Dr. Mary Neal |...

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Popeye1776 -- Sorry to hear about your travails. Your story reminded me of a video I ran across a few years ago, in which a man became brain cancer free within 3-4 weeks using cannabis oil. In case you'd be interested, here's the video (only 4 min. long).

Cannabis Cures Cancer - The Stan Rutner Story

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Popeye1776

Popeye1776 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope that I face my mortality with grace and dignity. The Lord is my refuge and my fortress. I can’t help but feel he isn’t finished with me yet. A lot has happened! My last siblings death, a niece’s death. I trust that my savior has me in his hands, always was, I just became more perceptive and more willing to testify. I did not come here to preach, but seeking knowledge from those who live it.

Thank you Billie and Lane.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I developed tinnitus after my craniotomy on August 20, 2018 to repair an unruptured aneurysm.

Been with me everyday since. Surgeon said he never was close to the hearing area in the brain, but something happened.

6. tracyNYC
      Frustrated

tracyNYC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2009-2020 habituated; 1/2021 - severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise; hearing loss
      Perhaps the noise from the drilling or sawing of the skull caused your tinnitus?

I had a craniotomy in 1991, but that did not cause my tinnitus.

7. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      That's what I thought too, but the surgeon said no louder than dentist's drill, but I think a dentist drill could cause tinnitus as well. Who knows, everyone is in denial.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Popeye1776 - how are you my friend? Thinking of you and sending love your way.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Popeye1776

Popeye1776 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you UKlawyer, I am doing as well as can be expected. One day at a time. Considering statistics said I should have died last month I am doing great!

• Hug Hug x 3