• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Menthol/Cold Sensation in Ears

Blue28

Author
Jul 6, 2016
Europe
Tinnitus Since
04/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
Hi,

I have been having a strange feeling in my ears/jaw area recently, which is mostly on my left side. It feels as though I have a cold wind blowing in my ear, or like a menthol kind of feeling.

I also have extreme fullness in my ears, and my hearing seems to be decreasing in that I hear quiet sounds less and less. I suffered an acoustic trauma almost 16 months ago after having microsuction. I got tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss following the procedure. I have a huge drop in my hearing at 12khz.

What could this new feeling of cold (sometimes it even feels hot) be? I am worried it's not good.

I saw an ENT this week and mentioned it to him, but he didn't comment, I'm guessing he doesn't have a clue either what this is.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi @Blue28 . First off, I am not a doctor, so I am certainly not qualified to diagnose anything. I do experience a "fullness" associated with my tinnitus, but only occasionally when the additional, temporary, tone I experience appears.

The term "fullness", which seem accurate, but I was never smart enough to think of it that way, prompted me to do a quick search and I came across the following:

http://www.medicinenet.com/eustachian_tube_problems/page2.htm

Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)

The site contains the following information:

People with some Eustachian tube dysfunction may experience signs and symptoms of:

Intermittent ear fullness
Ear popping or cracking
Mild hearing loss (an attenuation of sound)
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
Occasional poor balance

I hope this helps.

Hi @Blue28 . First off, I am not a doctor, so I am certainly not qualified to diagnose anything. I do experience a "fullness" associated with my tinnitus, but only occasionally when the additional, temporary, tone I experience appears.

The term "fullness", which seem accurate, but I was never smart enough to think of it that way, prompted me to do a quick search and I came across the following:

http://www.medicinenet.com/eustachian_tube_problems/page2.htm

Eustachian Tube Problems (Ear Tube Dysfunction, Blockage)

The site contains the following information:

People with some Eustachian tube dysfunction may experience signs and symptoms of:

Intermittent ear fullness
Ear popping or cracking
Mild hearing loss (an attenuation of sound)
Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
Occasional poor balance

I hope this helps.
Thank you @Kolisar. I have already tried several treatments for ETD with no luck. I'm not sure if my problems resemble cochlear hydrops.

I have already tried several treatments for ETD with no luck. I'm not sure if my problems resemble cochlear hydrops.

I hope you are able to find a solution. This is miserable, and I would not wish this on anyone. Please keep us updated on your progress.

I hope you are able to find a solution. This is miserable, and I would not wish this on anyone. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Thank you for your concern. I wish you well. I will log any news/improvements (if any) on this thread. I think these sensations may be related to nerve damage. I'm not sure as the doctors I've spoken to about this either have no idea or are not interested.

Hi i have same feeling my left ear. Did you learn the reason?
Hi @sevgilikuskus

I'm fairly sure it's due to nerve damage... I have problems with my ears and face. I'm having an MRI next month for what it's worth... I wish I knew how to help but I'm still trying to cope with this myself. I take magnesium and B12 but it doesn't seem to do much. Exposure to any kind of noise causes immense pain too. Let me know how you get on...it's been 18+ months for me and no let up :-(

I have a similar symptom, but instead of cold feeling, it's like a wet feeling. The nerves are going all wonky.

Hi @sevgilikuskus

I'm fairly sure it's due to nerve damage... I have problems with my ears and face. I'm having an MRI next month for what it's worth... I wish I knew how to help but I'm still trying to cope with this myself. I take magnesium and B12 but it doesn't seem to do much. Exposure to any kind of noise causes immense pain too. Let me know how you get on...it's been 18+ months for me and no let up :-(

The feeling for about a mounth. There is no pain in mine just cold feeling. I haven't gone to a doctor yet. I am going tomorrow. Hope it will be good for both of us.

Hi @Blue28. Did you ever find answers or treatment for your cool/ wet sensations in your ear? I too am having these in my left ear only. Ironically I also have some nerve damage in other areas but never associated it with my ears. I'd love to hear any words of wisdom.

Hi @Blue28. Did you ever find answers or treatment for your cool/ wet sensations in your ear? I too am having these in my left ear only. Ironically I also have some nerve damage in other areas but never associated it with my ears. I'd love to hear any words of wisdom.
Hi @Jeri E, I have never received answers from ents about the cold sensation but as mine came on following exposure to loud noise during microsuction I believe that it's due to nerve damage.

I still get this now and again, I believe it's down to damage to the nerves in the ear. I'm seeing a new ENT soon so will ask. Do you have this sensation?
Yes. :( it started month's after the trauma. Are you seeing an ENT or a Neurotologist?? I think might be better.

I still get this now and again, I believe it's down to damage to the nerves in the ear. I'm seeing a new ENT soon so will ask. Do you have this sensation?
Yes. :( it started month's after the trauma. Do you have fullness feeling? How bad it's the t? Or how about h?
Are you seeing an ENT or a Neurotologist?? I think might be better.

Yes. :( it started month's after the trauma. Do you have fullness feeling? How bad it's the t? Or how about h?
Are you seeing an ENT or a Neurotologist?? I think might be better.
I have the fullness almost constantly. This started almost immediately after the acoustic trauma (from microsuction by an ENT). The tinnitus and hyperacusis were very bad for the first 18 months but the hyperacusis is slightly better now (after 2 and a half years), the tinnitus is still very bad. Loud, intrusive, reactive tinnitus that drives me crazy. How about you?

Yes. :( it started month's after the trauma. Are you seeing an ENT or a Neurotologist?? I think might be better.
The cold/numbness sensation started months after the acoustic trauma. The burning started almost immediately though.

I am late getting to this thread, but hopeful that someone here has had any new insight into these specific symptoms since this posting. I find it interesting everyone has specified the left ear which I myself experience. Pain in the jaw and ear (particularly when chewing), fullness, feeling of wetness, chill/"menthol" sensation, blockage, and hearing loss. This is so spot on specific to what I am experiencing and my doctor likewise has no response. I am curently pregnant and thuswise very concerned about potential exposures. As this remains undiagnosed, I am extremely concerned about risks to my growing baby (ie an untreated infection, etc).
Extremely hopeful that someone has recieved any information or adequate diagnosis on these symptoms that I may be able to research/take to my doctor

This cold feeling is new for me as well... my first acoustic trauma 15 years ago I never noticed this. This time around both ears have a cold sensation.

Slight hyperacusis and loud high pitched tinnitus.

Just to chip in as it's been a while since I was here, I saw an ENT this summer who believes I have cochlear hydrops (which I've been trying to say for 3 years). I'm 100% sure it was triggered by the damage/trauma to my ears from the microsuction by an ENT. I still get the coldness/numbness and IMHO I think this relates to nerve damage :( No real improvement for me unfortunately.

microsuction by an ENT
If you search "microsuction" on the BTA website, they point you to four companies that offer microsuction.

There is nothing about it being potentially harmful.
upload_2019-11-4_9-39-46.png

upload_2019-11-4_9-40-22.png

upload_2019-11-4_9-41-11.png

upload_2019-11-4_9-42-1.png

upload_2019-11-4_9-42-52.png

If you search "microsuction" on the BTA website, they point you to four companies that offer microsuction.

There is nothing about it being potentially harmful.

OMG!!! That's just irresponsible! Lives have been ruined by this procedure (mine, @Vicki14, @Alibongo, @Nervous_Gent, @judith77, @Liam_Cairns to name but a few). Check out the Dangers of microsuction thread https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-dangers-of-microsuction.21921/

Here's a study regarding noise levels during a microsuction procedure...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22740154/

There are others...

There should be some sort of regulations with this procedure, it's clearly NOT SAFE, but there needs to be a way internationally to report unwanted side effects and damage caused by microsuction.

I got a cold last October.. here it is November 17th and my left ear and has been feeling cold for almost a week.. into my jaw. I feel crazy and people I have spoken to have never experienced this.. after reading this not even sure if it is worth seeing a Dr..

I have coldness and numbness all over my body and ears the day after a hearing test with an OAE. I'm so miserable.

I have experiencing same menthol kind of feeling in my ears as well since about year back.

My tinnitus got worse because of it.

My ears have been sensitive to cold more then 15 years. It was during one summer in begging of 2000 that I got problems with my ears after swimming and diving.

I got ear drops from a doctor and it was all fine but when autumn came with its fresh/cold air (especially in the mornings) I felt cold sensation in my ears.
Went to the ENT and she said use cotton or similar and use hat. I have been doing so ever since. Starting middle of Sept to May.

About a year back these problems got worse. My ears are hyper sensitive to low temperatures and cold.

About 2 month ago I got ear canal inflammation and boy oh boy did I feel menthol kind of feeling in my ears. It was like having ice stuffed in my ears.

Couple of weeks Before ear canal inflammation I got cold and sore throat which also caused the menthol kind of feeling. First sign of sore throat it affects my ears.

My ears have been like this for a long time but never like it is now. Before could have sore throat but it never affected the ears.

I tried to google these problems but couldn't find anything except on this forum.

Couple of weeks back I'm trying homeopathy to deal with this issue. Currently I'm using a remedy called Hepar Sulfur which should be for "hyper sensitivity to cold", "ear ache" etc.
Hard do say, I feel sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. Anyway I will stick with it. Doctors and ENT can't do shit so I feel I got nothing to lose giving homeopathy a try.

I just found this forum and so relieved to see others have this same strange feeling. I have the same cold/menthol feeling in my left ear. Issues with that ear started in 2017. ENTs have been unable to explain why these issues. I also have a severe reduction in vestibular function to make matters worse. I have no answers and haven't been able to find a treatment. If I do, I will certainly post it here. I'm currently trying TMJ treatment with a night guard to see if that does anything, as my dentist thought it might be a TMJ issue. Can't hurt to try I guess. Hearing loss, tinnitus, cold/menthol feeling, balance issues....what's next? Lol

I find using "nail carpet" to help or give temporary relief. Laying on each side of the head for 30 minutes increases the blood circulation and reduces/eliminates the cold sensation in the ear /ear channel.

If I expose my ears to anything below 10 degrees °C or 50 degrees °F the cold / menthol sensation in my ears will come back again. So using nail carpet gives temporary relief but I do find it helpfull.

Anyone who has managed to find some relief to this problem?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now